Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how do you defrost a freezer??(without turning it off??!!)

(22 Posts)
maisystar Tue 29-Mar-05 18:23:23

nearly 27 years old and i have never defrosted a freezer where do i start? (only doing it now cos door won't shut)

would rather not switch it off as have lots of home made stuff in it.

hairdryer???

Newbarnsleygirlsjustinsane Tue 29-Mar-05 18:24:08

A hairdryer and a hammer for the ice!

nikcola Tue 29-Mar-05 18:24:37

yes hairdryer or bowls of boiling water on the shelves

why wont you switch it off?? i would be safe and un plug it just till it defrosts

Bearess Tue 29-Mar-05 18:25:42

sorry, I think you are going to have to turn it off, can you beg temporary space from neighbours? Then put pans of hot water in it to melt all the ice, I find the actual defrosting takes v. little time, it's getting it to the right temp after which is a fag, hence you need to clear it out. Good luck!

purpleturtle Tue 29-Mar-05 18:25:48

I usually unplug it, stick a bowl on boiling water on each shelf, and use a hairdryer. Impatient, me.

purpleturtle Tue 29-Mar-05 18:26:22

bowl of boiling water

JoolsToo Tue 29-Mar-05 18:26:42

whack it with a rolling pin ....

starlover Tue 29-Mar-05 18:26:46

wrap all the stuff up in newspaper and pack in bags.
It will be fine while the freezer defrosts and then gets cold again.

purpleturtle Tue 29-Mar-05 18:26:54

And I just shove everything back in and switch it on when I'm done too.

JoolsToo Tue 29-Mar-05 18:27:00

NBG - done that too!

SoupDragon Tue 29-Mar-05 18:27:25

Take everything out and put it in coolbags outside. Turn freezer off and attack with hairdrier (be careful you don't get it wet!) and something to scrape the ice off. A wallpaper stripper works well.

Ive also successfully used a screwdriver and a hammer.

helsi Tue 29-Mar-05 18:27:32

switch it off!!!! so dangerous if you don't. Put all the frozen food in a large basket are all wrapped up in towles then spend a good hour with the hairdryer (don't get that wet too) and a knife. You will need plenty of towles though to soak up the mess - especially if it is at the stage where the door wont shut.

hunkermunker Tue 29-Mar-05 18:31:50

Didn't think you were meant to use a hairdryer - can't remember why. Perhaps it's because there'll be a lot of water and a hairdryer isn't a good plan with that!

maisystar Tue 29-Mar-05 18:33:16

<groan> really don't want to do it, sounds like such a big job!

can i turn the freezer off without turning the fridge off? just thought as well the freezer is the top bit-where do i put the towel?? oh god

Bearess Tue 29-Mar-05 18:33:32

have you got any anti-freeze in the car? Thought of a hairdryer is scaring me!

nnosam Tue 29-Mar-05 18:34:28

spray warm/hand hot water on it and mop it up with a load of towles. DO NOT USE A HAIRDRYER you will either damage your freazer or eleturcute(sp?) yourself.

Newbarnsleygirlsjustinsane Tue 29-Mar-05 18:34:57

Yeah wrap your frozen stuff in newspaper, that does work and just whack it to bits with something. Then when all the ice has fallen off use 2 baking trays to scoop it all up.

Very quick.

nnosam Tue 29-Mar-05 18:35:35

use pegs to attch the towle to the bottom shelf of the frezzer.

purpleturtle Tue 29-Mar-05 18:36:31

Can you stick a washing up bowl on a chair or something in front of the freezer to catch water? Does it have some kind of spout thing you can pull forward for water to drip down?

purpleturtle Tue 29-Mar-05 18:37:23

Just think how virtuous you'll feel when you've done it!

hunkermunker Tue 29-Mar-05 18:39:39

Don't use a sharp knife - you'll knacker the lining of the freezer.

anorak Tue 29-Mar-05 18:47:37

I put all my food in cardboard boxes (they insulate well). Pack them tightly and the packages keep each other cool.

Then switch off and put an old towel on the floor. Put pans of boiling water on each shelf and a bit roasting pan at the bottom to catch most of the water. Keep changing the hot water as it goes cold really quickly.

Should only take an hour or two, then give it a good wipe down and dry it before you switch on again.

Most annoying thing is when you've just done this job and then one of the kids leaves the door open all night so it all furs up again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now