Talk

Advanced search

Help I have to write a cv!!!!!

(7 Posts)
magnolia1 Tue 29-Mar-05 16:46:10

The template on my computer is awful and the ones i have found on the net cost money
I have an interview next Monday and I have to take a cv!!!!

hermykne Tue 29-Mar-05 16:51:30

magnolia
i dont think you need a template just type out the basics about yourself, education, experience (most recent first), centre it on one page and finish with contact details, thats what my husband always did and it worked.

i think employers like single page concise details
use a nice simple font (arial ?)and try out differnt font sizes

good luck

magnolia1 Tue 29-Mar-05 16:54:18

The only problem is I have had loads of part time jobs to fit in around the kids but they will take up so much space!! Do i just do a couple of previous employment details??

Sponge Tue 29-Mar-05 16:57:22

You don't need a template.
It's just a record of what you've done.
No more than 2 pages. Name and contact details at the top. I quite like a quick personal profile next. Then work experience, most recent first. Education, interests and references at the end.
For each job try to focus on one or two key achievements rather than just explaining what you did. Also try to keep it as relevant as possible to the job you're going for.
Good luck.

Sponge Tue 29-Mar-05 16:59:20

If you think there are too many jobs then include the ones which you think you can sell yourself best from and then make a note that you have had several similar positions over a period of x years. They can ask you more if they're interested.

magnolia1 Tue 29-Mar-05 16:59:42

Thanks, the other problem is that the job is a call centre operator, I have not done this type of work since I was 17 (13 years ago!!) and so to long ago to include in my employment history.

Sponge Tue 29-Mar-05 17:08:46

You can still include it, along with a few more recent jobs. It'll still be relevant that you've done it before, even if not for a while. If you've done more recent things which play to the right strengths then include them - anything to do with dealing with the general public, customer facing stuff. Try to paint an overall picture of someone who has a lovely phone manner and is great at deadling with people, even if they're being a bit difficult.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: