Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Father of the Bride Speech

(10 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Tue 29-Mar-05 15:47:46

My step-dad needs to try and think of something to say for his speech at his daughter's wedding in a couple of weeks' time. He is not in the best of health and has trouble catching his breath so it needs to kept short.
Anyone out there have any nice suggestions of things he could say or do?
TIA

Bella23 Tue 29-Mar-05 15:55:57

My Dad was unwell for my wedding and also very nervous so he gave a very short speech and we also let him make it before the meal so he could get it over with and enjoy the dinner.

Here it is:

It is my privilege to propose the toast to the bride and groom. And seldom can a duty have been such a pleasure

It is a pleasure, first of all, because it is xxxx and yyyyy. All brides are radiant on their wedding day and xxxxxx is more radiant than most. And all bridegrooms are splendid fellows. This is certainly true of yyyyyy. I know this because he told me so himself!

I will admit to being a little bias when I describe xxxxx’s qualities. After all I have known her for a long time, longer than anyone else apart from her mother. And Bride’s Mother joins me in telling you of our pride in our daughter. We have watched her with joy as she has developed into the young woman you see today.

So we have an exceptional bride, an exceptional groom, and more than that an exceptional couple.

Would you please rise and join me in the toast to the bride and groom.

……………..The Bride and Groom

SPARKLER1 Tue 29-Mar-05 15:57:43

Thanks Bella. I think it would be nice to have a bit of humour in with it too along with soppiness.

SPARKLER1 Tue 29-Mar-05 15:59:41

Guess I should have mentioned that it's my step-sister that's getting married - not me!!

SPARKLER1 Tue 29-Mar-05 17:49:32

Anyone? Those men of yours should be getting in from work soon - maybe they will have some ideas???

beansprout Tue 29-Mar-05 18:07:25

Have just had the discussion with my dad (30 mins ago) and he won't speak at my wedding as he gets far too nervous. Shame, but there you go.

I like Bella's suggestion - covers it all and is very lovely!!

moondog Tue 29-Mar-05 18:09:24

I don't think people mind what is said/when is said/duration or brevity of speech. Important thing is that it is heartfelt.
Wedding guests are very accommodating.

SPARKLER1 Tue 29-Mar-05 18:13:10

He the basic idea of what he want to say - just hope that one or two people might have had some nice, different ideas that he could use.

vict17 Tue 29-Mar-05 18:26:34

here you go Just google father + bride + speech and you get loads of hits.

SPARKLER1 Tue 29-Mar-05 21:54:54

Thankyou.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now