Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen Doors

(14 Posts)
megandsoph Tue 29-Mar-05 10:11:48

I have a really old kitchen as my house is ex council and the doors are falling off the cuboards and drawers I have tried getting new doors from places like BNQ, homebase etc but with no joy as apparently they don't make them in my cuboards sizes any more Grrr anyone any ideas where I can get some big sized cuboard doors and drawer panels that aren't gonna cost me the world??

colditzmum Tue 29-Mar-05 10:13:13

have a look on e bay, you never know! I saw someone selling a half used bottle of shampoo, and someone had bid for it!

megandsoph Tue 29-Mar-05 10:22:49

aye good idea hun cheers

SoupDragon Tue 29-Mar-05 10:33:34

Get a local carpenter to make you some up in MDF that you can then paint with a roller?

megandsoph Tue 29-Mar-05 10:36:07

wouldn't they charge a fortune though soup??

all I do is enquire though I guess

SoupDragon Tue 29-Mar-05 10:41:06

TBH I've no idea! I've always been of the impression that it's fairly cheap.

I remember my mum and dad looking at replacement doors for their kitchen once - the quote from a proper door company was for more than a new kitchen.

If you can't get the right size for your cabinets, having them made may be your only option. I guess it depends what you consider to be expensive. It's cheaper than a new kitchen though

megandsoph Tue 29-Mar-05 10:45:40

actually soup I think it's a really good idea am gonna do some enquireys or head of too the local skip to see if anyones getting rid of their doors lol

bluesky Tue 29-Mar-05 13:57:19

megandsoph, where do you live, I have some doors available, just changing kitchen! CAT me if interested.

megandsoph Tue 29-Mar-05 14:20:25

Bluesky am in scunthorpe hun.....

bluesky Tue 29-Mar-05 16:11:44

bit of a way for me to be much help then!!

Mud Tue 29-Mar-05 16:49:22

a door is just a piece of wood cut to the right size though

can't you call round the local timber yards and see if they will cut you MDF to the given dimensions, then just get some decent hinges and do them yourself

ie cut out the carpenter?

megandsoph Tue 29-Mar-05 17:14:48

mud u wanna see me with a saw hahahaha
think i'm just gonna end up supergluing the door fronts back on and try revamp em a wee bit with paint

Mud Tue 29-Mar-05 17:23:20

what I meant was our local timber yard cuts wood to size, so you go in with the measurements, pick the wood (or mdf) then pay something like £3 for it to be cut to size then off you trot

you'll just need sandpaper, paints, hinges and screwdriver

I would've thought anyway

megandsoph Tue 29-Mar-05 22:06:31

wow thats really good and bloody cheap too.

gonna have a look tomorrow hope I have a local one near by I think theres a place called howath timer actually ooooo gettin excited

thanks mud

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now