Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I normally book our summer holiday in January, but feel a bit worried about it this year, would it be best to book with an actual travel agent rather than do it all myself, for added protection?

(11 Posts)
Aimsmum Thu 18-Dec-08 11:33:58

Message withdrawn

Isaidkissmeunderthemistletoe Thu 18-Dec-08 16:47:01

paying by credit card means they will refund your money if the worst happens (although I would double check with your credit card first)

Aimsmum Thu 18-Dec-08 17:28:32

Message withdrawn

hollyivypoppy34 Thu 18-Dec-08 17:31:47

agree pay by credit card or if using net for it some companies are atol/abta bonded which again gives some protection

Aimsmum Thu 18-Dec-08 19:46:10

Message withdrawn

kingprawntikka Fri 19-Dec-08 09:40:26

If you book yourself rather than with a travel agent , even if you use a credit card you are only protected for the part of you holiday that has gone bust. So if you booked an Easy jet flight to spain and then a hotel with Expedia , and Easy jet went bust you would still be responsible for the cost of your hotel even if you could no longer get there.If you book a full package with a travel agent you are protected for all of it. I know how you feel , we usually make independent arrangements ourselves and I think I might go for a travel agent instead this year.

LIZS Fri 19-Dec-08 09:42:35

atol would only cover the flight part of a non package holiday, not other consequential losses such as accommodation , car hire etc. Whether booked by yourself or an agent as separate elements

Aimsmum Fri 19-Dec-08 10:05:34

Message withdrawn

AMIStletoekiss Fri 19-Dec-08 10:19:56

You could also look into travel insurance - I think some of them cover you for the hotel etc if your airline goes bust

LIZS Fri 19-Dec-08 10:21:02

but even with a travel agent unless it is a package holiday you won't have the full cover.

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 19-Dec-08 10:22:04

Travel agents have really raised their game now too, obviously they have to in the face of diy internet holidays.

Unless you are fussy I'd wait until very last minute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now