Talk

Advanced search

Anyone bought double glazed, wooden sash windows?

(25 Posts)
Keane Thu 24-Mar-05 14:21:31

how expensive were they?

we live in a conservation area so we have to have wooden. I am a bit too frightened to get a quote atm, just wanted a rough idea of how much it would cost to do maybe one bay (half hexagon shaped) window?

Cod Thu 24-Mar-05 14:24:23

Message withdrawn

swiperfox Thu 24-Mar-05 14:27:52

hiya dp does windows so i just tried to ring and ask him but he's not answering so will come and find you when he rings me

Keane Thu 24-Mar-05 14:32:31

no my whole house
just at the front i have three bays and a dormer, i am bricking it
no shit

thanks sniperfox

you dont want to hear the quote i have just had for the french doors from the kitchen

hoxtonchick Thu 24-Mar-05 14:35:59

our neighbours have them. i think it was something extortionate like 2 grand a window .

Keane Thu 24-Mar-05 14:39:16

omg

hoxtonchick Thu 24-Mar-05 14:39:56

yeah, put me right off.... we're in a conservation area too.

cazzybabs Thu 24-Mar-05 14:40:35

We were quoted 1000 pounds a window - ie to do our bay which has 3 bits it would cost 3000!

Keane Thu 24-Mar-05 14:43:02

omg, what a nightmare

Anteater Thu 24-Mar-05 14:54:20

Double glazed sash windows are very heavy (nearly twice), hence the counter weights have to be HUGE, which can mean a reduction in window class area (larger weight boxes)
One way round it is to cheat and have conventional windows made to look like sash window, happens all the time round here and planners can not tell the dufference.
Think the prices are way over...

Keane Thu 24-Mar-05 14:59:10

so how much for these "lookalike" windows, anteater?

miggy Thu 24-Mar-05 15:03:02

We have explored every possibility to get lowest price!
Found pvc sash same price as wooden
Have gone for double glazed wooden sash but with modern style mechanism (rod thing up the side) rather than sash (as cheaper) Found cheapest option was to get them made by a joiner and put in by a builder rather than using big window company.
Even so £1000 per window is not far off
Also we found it a bit cheaper to have the smaller side windows of the bay-non opening-look the same but dont open. No real hardship as previous windows were so rotten, have not been able to open any of them for years!

Anteater Thu 24-Mar-05 15:11:29

Cost will depend on where you are, but we paid a joiner £450 to make and fit a 6 pane sash last year. We replaced 7 sashs 6 years ago and got a job price of £300 per window. The advantage of a conventional window is that the pane size is not reduced by the large weights. I would say a conventional should be at least 20% less.

Jimjams Thu 24-Mar-05 18:24:11

interesting thread keane- we have the same dilemma- new wooden or secondary double glazing?

Keane Thu 24-Mar-05 18:36:52

yes exactly jimjams

I would like new wooden because of living where we are and with all the wind [wind]

but doesnt look like we can afford them!

Keane Thu 24-Mar-05 18:37:31

jimjamjs, i have started to wonder if we live in very similar houses too, lol

cazzybabs Thu 24-Mar-05 18:47:49

Talking to our neighbour she got a carptenter to do them for just under 500 pounds a window - might be worth a try???

zippy539 Thu 24-Mar-05 19:10:41

Same problem here, Keane - listed building, rotten sash windows that let in a gale and no money to do anything about them. Watching this thread with interest and horror!

swiperfox Thu 24-Mar-05 20:24:54

Hiya have just spoken to dp - god he's slow!! And after all that his company dont make wooden ones, just upvc!! Typical!!

Tissy Thu 24-Mar-05 20:29:08

yes, we paid £1000 perwindow, about 3 years ago. You don't have to have conventional sashes, by the way, they now have a new kind of mechanism which is slimmer, can't remember what it is called.

CountessDracula Thu 24-Mar-05 20:51:07

We got one made by this lot

I think it was about £600

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 24-Mar-05 20:56:05

Have same problem Keane re conservation area. Am soooo fed up with bloody secondary glazing - nightmare to clean etc.

cazzybabs Thu 24-Mar-05 22:39:44

Cleaning windows - ?????? Next you'll be saying you iron your tea-towels.

Or am I just slovenly? (and unable to spell)

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 24-Mar-05 23:12:05

Iron?

Tea-towel?

What are these things you speak of?

moschops Fri 25-Mar-05 10:09:58

we are in a cnservation area too........we used the modern alternative to traditional sash windows and our were out of a catalogue we got from Jackson Shipley. by the timw we'd finished comparing prices we discovered our windows have only cost us very marginally more than it would have been to have UPVC.

have you already got wooden windows in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now