Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

junk mail, keyboards and hotmail or yahoo?

(4 Posts)
tatt Wed 23-Mar-05 09:38:42

I use a hotmail account for some mail to avoid junk in my home mailbox. Its getting very clogged with junk mail, although I block several domains and use subject filters. In fact I regularly block the full limit! A lot of the mail has odd symbols in the subject line that are not on my keyboard. Can I set up a filter to automatically delete them and if so how?

And is yahoo any better - does it produce less junk mail?

I never open these messages, tend to delete anything with an attachment unless I recognise the source but do sometimes open mail that is not so obviously junk.

SoupDragon Wed 23-Mar-05 10:20:34

Bizarrely enough, I get no spam to m hotmail account and I use the email address wherever I need one to register or for home shopping.

Not sure about the filtering.

Yahoo is good in that it automaticcaly files a lot of cr*p into a "bulk message" file where it has identified an email as being spam. These bulk messages don't count towards your storage quotia.

bibiboo Wed 23-Mar-05 12:20:42

I've got a yahoo account and dont' get a great deal of spam, about one a day maybe and like Soupdragon says, it gets filteres into BULK mail anwyay.

tatt Wed 23-Mar-05 14:00:26

hotmail does put a lot of the junk into my junk mail folder but that still counts for storage - it just gets deleted automatically after 5 days. How long have you had your account, Soupdragon, because I noticed even an accounts that is hardly entered anywhere got some spam? Also the spammers seem to have got clever again lately and are using plausible subject lines. I still delete a lot of things without opening them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now