Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyone had a loft conversion?

(6 Posts)
biglips Tue 22-Mar-05 11:00:10

DP had boarded the floor already so will be calling a few companies today to come out and do a free quotes.....and what are you using it for?, as we know that deffo the pool table is going up there (its in the kitchen ATM) and the loft is roughly 20 ft X 20 ft.

biglips Tue 22-Mar-05 11:21:30

bump

Gizmo Tue 22-Mar-05 11:30:08

We're thinking about it, Biglips, but it's a long term dream at the moment because we don't have the 20-30k it's going to cost to do it right.

However, it's one of the reasons that we bought our new house (I'm a sucker for 'potential' in a house) so once we've saved up some pennies we'll start looking at budgets and ways we can control the costs.

Once you take the headheight issues into account there's room for a shower room and double bedroom up there. Ours is a three bed house at the moment but in a 'family house' sort of location, so we reckon there's room to improve it's value by adding another bedroom.

What sort of construction are you thinking of? Veluxes/dormers/mansards?

sobernow Tue 22-Mar-05 11:32:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Caligula Tue 22-Mar-05 11:36:39

I had one a couple of years ago, but proper one with building regs etc. Cost me about £20K altogether, but I had lots of extras (built in cupboard and shelves) and I now have an extra double bedroom and a small office.

Ameriscot2005 Tue 22-Mar-05 11:36:50

We had a loft conversion done last year - ended up with an 18x18 room, with bathroom. We use it as a bedroom for the boys.

Glad to answer any specific questions.

I don't think DH's flooring will be of any use to the conversion - building regs require a whole new floor on RSJs a few inches above the existing level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now