Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cheap girlie weekends - suggestions

(24 Posts)
handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 11:54:00

A friend is feeling a bit low, and a weekend away with her mates (leaving the kids with dad)is just what she needs.

However budget is tight - her dh has just got a new job following redundancy 3 months ago, so they had 3 months without an income and whilst earning again now obviously things are tight.

Any suggestions about what to do / where to go?

vict17 Mon 21-Mar-05 11:55:05

how about looking on laterooms.com for cheap hotels?

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 11:55:24

I guess it could be a day out (then no accommodation required) too...

We live nr Southampton

mummytosteven Mon 21-Mar-05 11:55:51

isle of wight?

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 11:55:53

That's a good idea Vict17 - I hadn't heard of that website before

vict17 Mon 21-Mar-05 11:58:30

try here too

sweetheart Mon 21-Mar-05 12:02:26

You could try Center Parcs. They have a village in Longleat which isn't too far from you. I went with a group of girls last year - they do villa's for 6 or 8 people and I think it worked out at around £60 each for a 3 night stay - cheaper than any hotel!!! Plus you get free access to teh swimming pool while your staying there.

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Mar-05 12:37:43

Sweetheart

That's not a bad idea at all. Thanks

bibiboo Mon 21-Mar-05 23:54:16

What about hiring a family room at a hotel (Travel Inn etc - cheap between 4 people) and get in loads of cheapo wine, cake, face packs, some dvds (ask the hotel if they'll loan you a dvd player or can you take your own). Have a right old girlie night in, putting the world to rights.

Surfermum Mon 21-Mar-05 23:57:56

Come to Bournemouth. Lots of shopping, meal in Hot Rocks overlooking the beach, several bevvies in the many, many bars and then the train home.... or off to one of the clubs and a cheap B&B.

Bibiboo's suggestion is good though if money is really, really tight.

jasper Tue 22-Mar-05 00:07:44

my parents are just back from 3 nights dinner B &B in a posh hotel in Harrogate for £160 all in for the two of them! (ie £80 each for the whole three nights)
Midweek though.

Will get the details if you want

Surfermum Tue 22-Mar-05 00:18:15

I've had several girly weekends here There's a pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna. Lovely cliff top walks, close to a surfing beach , nearby pubs for eats/drinks and lovely, comfortable villas. I don't think we ate out actually, just cooked lovely meals and had great girly chats and lots of wine around the big dining table into the early hours. The visitors book will tell of one when we didn't go to bed.

handlemecarefully Tue 22-Mar-05 09:33:49

Thanks for these further suggestions - they all sound good. Sufermum thanks for the link - the 2 bed villa sleeping 4 people is quite affordable.

DelGirl Tue 22-Mar-05 09:57:56

hmc - I went to spain a couple of years ago for 3 nights ( in march). The flight was about £30 return and 3 nights b & b in a good hotel, last minute. Less than £100. The weather wasn't brilliant but it was a break. And the airport is only 10 minutes away from me and 30 minutes from the hotel in Spain. It was less stressful than drivng into London!

I don't know where you live but check out Ryanair and the all the cheapy airlines and then try and book a hotel direct, assuming you'd want to go abroad.

DelGirl Tue 22-Mar-05 10:18:22

Just been reading another thread and noticed you're in my neck of the woods. Flight was from Bournemouth. They do cheap flights from s'ton too but not quite as cheap as bmth I don't think.

moondog Tue 22-Mar-05 10:21:37

Try www.lastminute.com as well. Some great offers on there (rooms and flights.)

Renting a house/cottage somewhere in the UK would be pretty cheap after easter too.

hewlettsdaughter Tue 22-Mar-05 10:25:26

hi hmc - was going to suggest centerparcs but sweetheart got there before me i see!

Surfermum Tue 22-Mar-05 20:40:49

HMC - if you can afford a bit more, and you're fussed about a view, the 3 bed villas with upstairs lounges have lovely views over the cliff tops to the sea.

handlemecarefully Tue 22-Mar-05 20:44:33

That's handy to know. Thanks....

Steppy1 Tue 22-Mar-05 21:18:48

hope I've got the answer for you NMC. I'm running a mums night out (called FUNKY MAMAS") at the Wiltshire Golf and Country club (veeery nice !!) The hotel rooms are £70 per night, not that expensive if you split the cost between the two of you. there's a SPA and swimming pool which overlooks the golf course, and the FUNKY MAMAS event runs on Friday 15th April - tickets are £6.50. So, you could book into the hotel, have a swim & jacuzzi, join around 200 other mums for some serious "me time, grooving the night away. If you booked into the hotel, I'd throw in a couple of tickets to the Funky mams event complimentary from a fellow mumsnetter !!!! hope you like

handlemecarefully Tue 22-Mar-05 21:30:30

That sounds really good Steppy1 - but very bad timing for me since 15th April is ds' birthday.

I'll pass on the details of this around my NCT e-group though....

Steppy1 Tue 22-Mar-05 21:49:58

...you're very welcome, hope you find the right night away....

Steppy1 Wed 23-Mar-05 11:01:49

bump

dropinthe Wed 23-Mar-05 11:44:05

What about camping?-there is a lovely site in Tenterden in Kent,(sorry if missed where youre from) or in Glenridding in the Lake District-couple of wineboxes,disposable bbqs(ok-I'm presuming here the weather is lovely!!)-Great fun and tres cheap!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now