Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How often should your Homestart volunteer turn up?

(50 Posts)
rickman Thu 17-Mar-05 16:35:09

Message withdrawn

rickman Thu 17-Mar-05 18:05:58

Message withdrawn

maisystar Thu 17-Mar-05 18:29:37

i am a volunteer and the only reason i would miss vivting is if ds was ill.

and your volunteer should always let you know asap if she can't make it. also if i have missed a visit i try to rearrange for later in the week, so have never gone longer than a week without visiting iyswim.

has she let you know in advance if she can't make it? what are her reasons?

rickman Thu 17-Mar-05 20:43:16

Message withdrawn

KatieMac Thu 17-Mar-05 20:50:08

Poor you it's rotten when the children are poorly .... and if you are expecting help and don't get it, it can be so disappointing

No advise tho' sorry - could you ask about a different volunteer as she is obviously having a difficult time at the moment??

maisystar Thu 17-Mar-05 20:53:39

i would speak to the co-ordinator, rickman. (whoever first came to visit you and introduce your volunteer).

they could then speak to the volunteer and see if there is a problem.

rickman Thu 17-Mar-05 20:55:05

Message withdrawn

AuntyQuated Thu 17-Mar-05 20:56:21

i am a volunteer too and do exactly what maisystar said. i always try and fit another visit in. when it was snowing i was prepared to do battle with the rodas but she rang me saying don't some as the road to her house was very slippy!

i'd mention this to your contact person at H/S; asking if you could have someone else as she isn't reliable/dependable.
when i did the training course they really stressed how important relability was.

this can just add to your problems' as being let down is worse than not expecting the help initially.

AuntyQuated Thu 17-Mar-05 20:57:50

you can speak to them in confidence, they won't drop you in it

AuntyQuated Thu 17-Mar-05 20:58:34

what do you mean - 'she isn't what you were expecting'?

rickman Thu 17-Mar-05 21:02:34

Message withdrawn

maisystar Thu 17-Mar-05 21:07:09

we are not allowed to be bossy

what does she do???

Evesmama Thu 17-Mar-05 21:08:40

i agree somewhat rickman, although i very highly rate homestart, my helper though very sweet and a lovely woman, hasnt got the magic wand i ordered, and we just sit and talk which is probably not best sometimes...dont have the heart to say dont come, although i havent seen her since just after christmas because of illness or snow, however she always calls me to tell me...i'd speak to homestart and ask for someone else, i may do this, but i know its hard when they're really nice but have more baggage than you!

maisystar Thu 17-Mar-05 21:12:59

we are advised to move at the pace of the parent we are visiting and not to 'push them'!!!!

you could try asking for stuff like please could you play with dd/ds so i can have a bath?/could you help me take them to the park?/ would you come to p&t with me?

that kind of thing, or whatever it is you need

AuntyQuated Thu 17-Mar-05 21:14:29

no not allowed to be bossy...the idea is to help you help youself. but i know of one volunteer who is bossy in a very positive motherly way and she is very popular with the families.

how long has she been coming?

i will be bossy now

DON@T sit and chat to her!!
next time she comes show her where all drink stuff is then suggest she makes a drink whilst you do XYZ. write a list of what you would like to do whilst she is there and show it to her; be as specific as you want, or not.
eg.
sort washing
wash kitchen floor
have an hour to myself
prepare dinner

see how that works

or talk to your organiser and say she is too nice and you would like someone bossy

kernowcat Thu 17-Mar-05 21:15:29

What is homestart?

maisystar Thu 17-Mar-05 21:16:45

i will be bossy too now

Evesmama Thu 17-Mar-05 21:17:10

is that what their supposed to do??i would feel really about asking her to do anything like this..although she does ask if anything needs doing when im putting dd down for nap(ie:clear mountains of soft toys off her bed!)
but i spend my morning making us crumpets and tea!, she is lovely, but like rickman said,..not what i expected?

AuntyQuated Thu 17-Mar-05 21:18:38

here is the website

it is a charity that organises volunteers to visit families with at least one child under 5.
the volunteer supports the family and visits once a week sometimes more.
families can self refer or be referred by health visitor, midwife etc

AuntyQuated Thu 17-Mar-05 21:23:17

she is probably expecting you to ask her to do things. here are some of the things i do with my family (6 mionth old twins)
-give bottles
- give food
- change nappies
-dress them ready for the day
- wash bottles and put in steriliser
-tidy toys
-play with them
-chat if their mumneeds to (she has MIL probs)

whilst i do the above she
-has her breakfast
-showers and gets dressed
- comes downstairs looking better than i do!!!
- deals with washing

we then get babies raedy for M&T, i follow her down i the car and take her in, then go home leaving her there.

hth

rickman Thu 17-Mar-05 21:24:21

Message withdrawn

Evesmama Thu 17-Mar-05 21:24:31

can you be mine please

rickman Thu 17-Mar-05 21:25:52

Message withdrawn

rickman Thu 17-Mar-05 21:27:17

Message withdrawn

AuntyQuated Thu 17-Mar-05 21:28:05

if she cancels again ask her if she could come another day instead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now