Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you smoke and drive?

(37 Posts)
flamesparrow Thu 17-Mar-05 16:03:49

Just following on from the mobile phone thread - will any of you here admit to smoking and driving?

I don't smoke, so not an issue for me !

lockets Thu 17-Mar-05 16:05:20

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Thu 17-Mar-05 16:06:30

I used to.

northerner Thu 17-Mar-05 16:07:25

Err, what's wrong with smoking whilst driving. Have I missed something?

tarantula Thu 17-Mar-05 16:07:38

dont smoke, drive or have a mobile so taht puts me right out in the cold.

WideWebWitch Thu 17-Mar-05 16:09:16

I used to when I smoked, yes. Most smokers do.

flamesparrow Thu 17-Mar-05 16:10:13

To my mind if people aren't meant to be handling mobile phones whilst driving (which I agree with so don't start throwing stuff), I feel that driving with a lit cigarette and smoking is also wrong and just as dangerous. I wanted to see if the shock of considering driving and using a phone was the same as smoking... but I am guessing not!

WigWamBam Thu 17-Mar-05 16:11:48

I don't smoke, so it's not an issue for me, but I don't think it's anywhere near the same thing as using a mobile while you drive. You can at least keep your hands on the wheel for most of the time - which you can't when you're having a conversation on a hand-held mobile phone. Taking your hand off the wheel for long enough to take a drag on a cigarette is surely no more dangerous than taking your hand off the wheel to change gear or change a CD?

northerner Thu 17-Mar-05 16:12:09

But then wouldn't driving and turning on the radio/inserting a tape/cd or having a drink of water be dangerous too?

flamesparrow Thu 17-Mar-05 16:13:01

And the fact that this thing is lit doesn't bother any of you in the slightest?

vict17 Thu 17-Mar-05 16:13:24

I don't smoke but I used to when younger. This sounds like another attack on smokers - does any one suggest people shouldn't rustle around in glove compartments for sweets when they drive? I don't think so...

JoolsToo Thu 17-Mar-05 16:13:36

thats a bit like saying do you eat sweets when you drive (yes) - I don't smoke but I don't see the problem in smoking whilst driving - although you wouldn't get me to be a passenger (cough, cough)

WigWamBam Thu 17-Mar-05 16:13:38

Why is it more dangerous to have a lit cigarette in a car than anywhere else, though?

vict17 Thu 17-Mar-05 16:14:37

snap JoolsToo

JoolsToo Thu 17-Mar-05 16:15:16

I did once have to tell a guy to put out his ciggy whilst he was filling up with petrol

JoolsToo Thu 17-Mar-05 16:15:32

vict17 great minds!

flamesparrow Thu 17-Mar-05 16:15:46

I'm not attacking anyone - I am genuinely interested about why it doesn't bother you.

For me, the thought of dropping something that is alight whilst driving would distract me, make me look to put it out etc, dropping a sweet wouldn't.

JoolsToo Thu 17-Mar-05 16:16:44

don't people chuck their dimps out the window?

flamesparrow Thu 17-Mar-05 16:17:46

Accidentally dropping... although chucking it out of the window is pretty nasty too

JoolsToo Thu 17-Mar-05 16:20:22

mm - see your point but just generally, smoking wouldn't, I think, distract you from the road which talking on a phone does.

There are many scenarios that COULD happen whilst your driving - dropping your fag is just one.

ThomCat Thu 17-Mar-05 16:24:39

I smoke like a chimney, never undo windows, Lottie seems to love it. Nothing I like better than havin' a faggggg, while chatting on the phone to my mates, driving with my tunes blaring , oh and applying lip gloss using the rear view mirror to look in.

sparklymieow Thu 17-Mar-05 16:27:18

Thomcat!!! you sound just like me!!

psychomum5 Thu 17-Mar-05 16:27:58

I go against smoking while driving in a big way.! In my case because some stupid git of a driver flicked his still lit fag end out of his car, which then flew in thro the open window of our car, burning my son on his arm while a tiny babe in a backwards facing car seat (so I wasn't to see the fag end till my son starts screaming hysterically from pain and fear)!!!!!

psychomum5 Thu 17-Mar-05 16:28:34

Thomcat

psychomum5 Thu 17-Mar-05 16:29:18

Lol Thomcat!!!

This needed a bit of detensioning... I think I need to stop starting threads!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now