Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Did/Does anyone use cot bumpers for their young baby?

(29 Posts)
beatie Thu 17-Mar-05 09:59:18

?

RudyDudy Thu 17-Mar-05 10:00:44

Not when he is first born but did for a few months when he was (I think) about 4/5 months and started moving around his cot and waking himself up bashing his head on the bars!

bundle Thu 17-Mar-05 10:00:56

no, so that there was plenty of ventilation around cot

RudyDudy Thu 17-Mar-05 10:00:57

*was first born

Tissy Thu 17-Mar-05 10:01:53

no, thought they were a waste of money, but did roll up a couple of cot blankets to lie along the edge and top of cot, as dd used to wriggle a lot and wake herself up when her face was wedged against the bars!

flamesparrow Thu 17-Mar-05 10:06:04

I had one, but it drove me nuts getting in the way when I was trying to change bedding, so gave up. It is now pinned round the head of my rocking chair - it is the perfect width and looks great!!!

dinosaur Thu 17-Mar-05 10:10:43

I use one for DS3 - he is seven and a half months. Otherwise he bashes his face on the cot bars.

beatie Thu 17-Mar-05 10:12:45

I just ask because I also frequent an American Internet board and it just seems to be the very done thing to buy a whole crib set for a newborn. They don't seem to be given any info. regarding the SIDS risk.

I didn't think people so commonly went in for these whole sets here but just wondered. I used a Gro-bag for my dd and got some separate cot bumpers for her cot around the age of 12 months.

uwila Thu 17-Mar-05 10:38:10

I used one. I think the warnings of baby getting couaght up in the ties are a bit over the top because my ties are definitely not long enough for that to happen. Basically I wanted to buy the whole bed set because it was cute (but then I am American!)

Although, I will say that is did make tucking any blankets in a bit of a pain. But, then we also just used grobags, so wasn't really a big deal.

geekgrrl Thu 17-Mar-05 10:39:45

I did. They were forever getting their arms stuck between the bars (used sleeping bags so legs were fine) and waking themselves up that way. Have seen a mesh bumper recently which would have been ideal...

NomDePlume Thu 17-Mar-05 10:41:06

No. The 'standard' SIDs risk was scary enough for me, nevermind adding to it.

NomDePlume Thu 17-Mar-05 10:41:42

That mesh bumper sounds like a great idea for babies who like to wedge themselves, though.

PiccadillyCircus Thu 17-Mar-05 10:42:24

I didn't use them at all - I got the feeling you weren't meant to use them until they were 6 months and that you weren't meant to use them once your baby could move around a bit - so that meant in our case there wasn't really any time to use them.

dinosaur Thu 17-Mar-05 10:42:25

I'm being thick here - why do they increase the risk of SIDS?

geekgrrl Thu 17-Mar-05 10:44:26

I think because babies can bury their faces in the padding.

NomDePlume Thu 17-Mar-05 10:45:22

They block the ventilation gaps between the bars, i think that's the reason given.

beatie Thu 17-Mar-05 10:45:38

Yes, I have just seen the mesh bumper and it does seem good.

The increased risk of SIDS is because a baby might get stuck with their face right next to the bumper or their face covered by a quilt. The baby can end up 're-breathing'its air which means it is breathing IN its carbon dioxyde and not getting enough oxygen - so the baby suffocates.

I agree they look cute but wonder if the warnings are given out blatantly enough.

NomDePlume Thu 17-Mar-05 10:45:41

Also the padding/suffocation issue

dinosaur Thu 17-Mar-05 10:55:49

Oh dear - DS3 does like to cosy up to his! He is big enough to roll over now though.

JoolsToo Thu 17-Mar-05 10:57:18

No - I don't see the point of them. dd and ds's used to ram themselves up to the bars but it never seemed to bother them and they've still got normal shaped heads

Bozza Thu 17-Mar-05 10:57:23

No because was warned against them. DD now has just fitted bottome sheet and sleeping bag. Also cellular blanket hanging around for nap times.

Bozza Thu 17-Mar-05 10:59:11

Actually DD does like to kick bars on lowering side because it makes them rattle. And she's always wedged sideways when I go in but usually does it after waking rather than vice-versa IYSWIM.

dinosaur Thu 17-Mar-05 11:26:24

Is there an age limit for the recommendations? Is DS3 okay now that he's 7.5 months and can roll?

beatie Thu 17-Mar-05 11:46:20

I think once they are able to roll themselves away from the said items by themselves then they are OK.

dinosaur Thu 17-Mar-05 12:12:26

I don't want to take it away, because he's just started sleeping through the night and I'd hate to disrupt that! But I will take it away if it's dangerous. He does like to cosy right up to it though, so I am a bit worried about him breathing in his own C02 - I hadn't thought of that before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now