Talk

Advanced search

Quick answer needed to THICK question about fish pie!

(11 Posts)
PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 16-Mar-05 11:33:40

I'm making up a batch of fish pies to freeze.

Ok, so all the ingredients are cooked, then assembled as the fish pie, then it says bake in oven for 25 mins.

If I'm freezing them to defrost and heat later, should I leave out the baking for 25 mins bit as I'd be doing this twice IYSWIM. I haven't frozen fish pie before and don't want to end up with them dry and overcooked.

Mumsnet culinary advice please TIA .

Tetley Wed 16-Mar-05 11:35:05

I defniately wouldn't bake it now - not when everything has already been cooked. Just do the baking bit when they're defrosted.

PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 16-Mar-05 11:36:05

Thanks T

Fran1 Wed 16-Mar-05 11:36:41

errrrm you're not thick cos i dunno either

sounds like a good idea to not cook it doesn't it?

I'll watch this thread with interest

soapbox Wed 16-Mar-05 11:36:42

I would freeze them before you bake them then derost and bake as per instructions before you serve them.

The baking is only to brown the top of the potato so no need to do that before they go in the freezer.

However, if you were intending to microwave them when you want to use them then I would bake in the oven before freezing!

yoyo Wed 16-Mar-05 11:39:48

If all the ingredients are cooked I can't see why you'd need to cook for 30 mins before freezing. Have never frozen fish pie though. Just checked a "Golden fish pie" recipe in a GH cookbook and it says "unsuitable for freezing" (contains prawns and scallops?).

Congratulations on the weight loss btw.

PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 16-Mar-05 13:10:50

Thanks folks, ther are no shellfish in the pies, so hopefully ok to freeze.

tarantula Wed 16-Mar-05 13:30:08

I froze a fish pie the other day. According to "the Encyclopedia of Home Freezing" (No I have NO idea where I got it from but it has come i handy) you can freeze fish pie before baking and then bake FROM FROZEN just need longer in the oven I think it was about an hour but cant remember now. It came out lovely tho. Ive also defrosted them tho and baked for about 30/40 mins starting with a lowertemp oven and whacking it up at the end to give a nice crispy top. Need to make sure that it is piping hot right through which can take a while.

PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 16-Mar-05 17:22:07

Thanks for that tarantula - I'm all for things being even easier!

moondog Wed 16-Mar-05 17:27:56

Yes, freeze before baking.
A 'batch' of fish pies!!! Are you boasting (just a leetle bit) Puff??!

PuffTheMagicDragon Wed 16-Mar-05 23:23:00

lol moondog!

When I cook, dh always says it's like coming in to an army kitchen. If I'm gonna do it, I grit my teeth and make a mountain of the stuff to chuck in the freezer. Have worked out that in the long run, this means less time standing at the cooker and more time to sit on my bum perusing Mumsnet .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now