Talk

Advanced search

Asking another Mum to look after ds for an hour tomorrow - how would you react?

(20 Posts)
PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 11:48:45

This is really silly and I know I should just go ahead and ask!

I have a hospital appointment tomorrow afternoon and really need to go without children.

Dh has had a meeting changed so can't now look after ds2 (ds1 will be in nursery, so no probs there).

There's a Mum I've got to know who has a dd in ds1's nursery. We've met up once, often chat to and from nursery, and have vaguely talked about helping each out with babysitting etc occasionally.

I'm thinking of asking her whether she'd look after ds2 while I go to my appointment, but I'm a bit shy .

What do you think? She can only say yes or no I suppose!

WigWamBam Tue 15-Mar-05 11:50:21

I'd ask her - she can only say no, and you'll be no worse off than you are now.

Pinotmum Tue 15-Mar-05 11:52:17

I'd be happy to help you out, it's only an hour. I'm sure she'll say yes, good luck

mummytosteven Tue 15-Mar-05 11:52:26

yes, defo, not as if you're going to be out having tons of fun, is it.

Bozza Tue 15-Mar-05 11:53:20

I would be happy to do it for two reasons:
1) because my own child would enjoy the company and I would enjoy having another to play.
2) because it would feel more able to ask for a return favour as/when I needed it.

Gwenick Tue 15-Mar-05 11:53:21

I'd ask too - it's not like you're wanting help for the whole afternooon - and I'm sure if she asked you you'd say yes if you're avaiable.

PiccadillyCircus Tue 15-Mar-05 11:53:46

Ask her. I know what you mean though as I need to ask someone to look after DS for an hour or so in a couple of weeks time while I have a doctor's appointment and feel shy about asking anyone.

mears Tue 15-Mar-05 11:53:52

Definately ask. That is how I started making closer freinds at palygroup and nursery. Means you can reciprocate another time and you both are able to jelp each other. Ask

tiptop Tue 15-Mar-05 11:56:38

Yes, ask. If she can help you, make sure you write down your and dh's names and contact nos and give it to her. Also tell her if your ds is allergic to anything especially something she might well feed him, like fruit. Sorry if this is obvious and you'd do this anyway! I hope your appointment goes well.

PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 12:21:07

Thanks everyone , I'll stop being shy about it!

NomDePlume Tue 15-Mar-05 12:21:59

I'd ask her, it's only for an hour or so.

beatie Tue 15-Mar-05 12:27:46

I can understand why you are deliberating because I was exactly the same a few weeks ago. I was suffering from 24 hour morning sickness and it hit a peak around week 9. I took the bull by the horns and enlisted some help to look after my dd - aged 2, for an afternoon.

I asked family first and then asked a friend. She was more than happy. I was so grateful to her but I know I would have done the same if asked. Most people are happy to help out once in a while.

handlemecarefully Tue 15-Mar-05 12:49:32

If it was me I wouldn't bat an eyelid at being asked. Would also think it would make a nice play date for my child.

macwoozy Tue 15-Mar-05 12:57:58

I would only be too pleased to look after someone elses child now and again.

WideWebWitch Tue 15-Mar-05 13:25:58

I'd ask too.

Cadmum Tue 15-Mar-05 13:29:18

I would ask and I would also be flattered if somebody asked me to watch their child.

PuffTheMagicDragon Tue 15-Mar-05 16:39:51

She said yes . I said I'd be happy to return the favour anytime, which I would.

tiptop Tue 15-Mar-05 16:53:18

Oh, good!

Steppy1 Tue 15-Mar-05 16:56:24

a mum and I at pre-school often help each other out with appointments etc. in fact, my dad is going in for major op tomorrow in Nottingham and as I am away, DS will be going to hers for tea tomorrow...he's excited, I swap and have her DS when she needs to and it works out just fine......really appreciative of it too as I have no family nearby to help out with childcare

Gwenick Tue 15-Mar-05 16:57:46

I would also be flattered if somebody asked me to watch their child.

That's a good point - it shows a level of trust and 'respect' for you/them - which is alwasy nice to feel that someone trusts you enough to look after your kids

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now