Talk

Advanced search

Do You Live In Your "Home" Town/City?

(22 Posts)
Fimbo Mon 14-Mar-05 22:18:06

I met Dh when I was 27, and had had the same job for 9 years and had always lived in the town where I was born. Since meeting him I have had 4 different jobs (prior to being a sahm) have lived in 2 different Scottish towns and now live in England all because of his job!! Oh and I am now 37.

HUNKERMUNKER Mon 14-Mar-05 22:19:01

Yes - I was born in a different borough (next one to this) but have always lived in west London.

emsiewill Mon 14-Mar-05 22:22:52

Since leaving home at the age of 19 to go to Uni, I have lived in 2 different cities in France, London, High Wycombe, London again, Southampton and Newport. I'm now 35, and have lived here in Newport for 7 1/2 years. Can't see myself moving somewhere new again, now the dds are settled at school.

Can't imagine how my life would have been if I'd stayed in my home town and never left - quite apart from the fact I wouldn't have dh or the dds. (well, not the same ones, anyway! )

maisystar Mon 14-Mar-05 22:24:02

was born in n yorks, moved to darlington when i was 18, then back to n yorks then to cumbria then back to n yorks(!), then to sheffield then back to(yes you guessed) n yorks then back to sheffield where we are now!

am staying put now though.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 14-Mar-05 22:25:08

Nope

I'm from N Yorks. Dh is from S Yorks and his work was from home and had to be in that area. I transfered with the company I worked for to Leeds and we lived in Wakefield. I had 3 jobs in total from moving up until I had dd.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 14-Mar-05 22:25:52

Oooh which part of N yorks you from MS?

maisystar Mon 14-Mar-05 22:26:38

bedale! you?

BethAndHerBrood Mon 14-Mar-05 22:27:03

No - Thank goodness!!!!

Born and bred in scarborough, moved to liverpool in 2001, moved back to scarborough for a few months in 2002, then moved to near Wigan in 2003. Getting itchy feet again now!!!

I could NOT live in the same town as all our family again!!!!!

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 14-Mar-05 22:27:40

York.

We have been looking at houses in Bedale and that area. Dh has another job in Northallerton.

maisystar Mon 14-Mar-05 22:28:55

ds was born in northallerton and i went to school there. my dad teaches there now.

take it you live in barnsley now then?

Surfermum Mon 14-Mar-05 22:31:35

No - I was born and brought up in West London, but moved to the south coast when I was 25. Had about 12 years in the Cotswolds and then the lure of the sea was too great and I returned to the south coast.

Hunkermunker - where are you then? If you're West London shouldn't it be 'unkermunker? (said the girl from 'ounslow).

whatsername Mon 14-Mar-05 22:32:27

Yeah, I live in the town where I was born (in the hospital), 15 minutes down the road from the village I was brought up in. Considering moving away though (I'm looking at property websites right now...)

eidsvold Mon 14-Mar-05 22:33:51

Was born in Brisbane Australia.

Moved away at 17 for three years,
then back for a year
then away for 2 years
then back for 5 years,
then away for three years,
then back for a year,
to the US for 6 months,
then back to Aus for 4 months
THen to the UK for four years and FINALLY
back here - been here just over 9 months.

In Australia - despite moving away have lived in the same state though......

I think I worked out I had moved 18 times in 19 years...... mmmmm am staying put now though. Have the dds and dh has a brilliant job so we are here now.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 14-Mar-05 22:40:28

Yep in Barnsley now.

I love northallerton.

turquoise Mon 14-Mar-05 22:41:04

I'm about to move back there.
Was born in London, brought up in Kent. Went to London for late teens/20s, then back to Kent when ds was nearly 2. Moved to US 18 months ago, and am moving back to the village next to the one I was brought up in at the end of the month.

mummytosteven Mon 14-Mar-05 22:41:36

Nope. born manchester, went to oxford for Uni, southport for 3.5 years, then moved to Liverpool 2 years ago.

hotmama Mon 14-Mar-05 22:43:36

Moved back to my hometown of Nottingham 6 years ago (not the shooting districts).

linnet Mon 14-Mar-05 22:59:32

Yes, I have lived in the same city my whole life, I'm 28 and to make me appear even sadder I've lived in the same street for 25 of those years. I moved into the town centre for 3 years then moved back to my childhood home when my mum died and I inherited her house.

Smurfgirl Mon 14-Mar-05 23:13:31

No, but I don't know what my home town is anymore really. I lived in Middlesbrough for 11 years, but I moved away when I was 16 and lost all contact with my friends there. Then I moved back when I was 18 but went straight away to university. I go home to my parents in holidays, but I don't think of it as my home city.

Everyone else in my family lives in the same city so maybe thats home?

joash Mon 14-Mar-05 23:41:12

Nope - moved here aged 1- and won't be here for much longer yaaaaaaaaaayayayyyyyy

Caligula Mon 14-Mar-05 23:43:35

No. I was born and brought up in London, lived and worked there till I was 35.

Moved out because of house prices.

ghosty Mon 14-Mar-05 23:45:28

I couldn't imagine living in the same place for all that time ... just not in my blood!
Born in Johannesburg
At 2 moved to Spain
At 3 moved to Holland
At 6 moved to UK
At 10 moved back to Holland
At 18 moved to Sheffield
At 19 moved to London
At 19 moved to Exeter
At 23 moved to Surrey and over 9 years lived in 4 different houses and areas.
At 32 moved to NZ and in the last 3 years have lived in 4 different parts of Auckland!!!
Who knows what will happen tomorrow, next week, next month, next year!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now