Talk

Advanced search

Asian Bird Flu

(6 Posts)
WestCountryLass Sun 13-Mar-05 21:34:12

I was jsut wodnering if anyone else is a bit concerned about the situation with ABF?

I have seen a few news reports in the past few weeks which have scared me but I have tried to console myself by reminding myself about the SARS virus and how that did not affect as many people as anticipated.

Does anyoen know when the general public would be vaccinated (as a vaccine has been formulated although it is untested and aniviral drugs are available), at what point does the government act?

pixiefish Sun 13-Mar-05 21:36:51

As far as I can gather this is the situation:

The avian flu is passed from bird to bird.

Birds can pass the avian flu to humans.

Scientists don't yet know if human to human spread is possible. They think this has happened with 3 women living in the same house.

If this has happened then there could be a problem.

Mosschops30 Sun 13-Mar-05 21:38:54

Message withdrawn

WestCountryLass Sun 13-Mar-05 21:45:23

Hmmm, yeah, MossChops30, why doesn't that surprise me??

Blu Sun 13-Mar-05 21:56:29

I did get really alarmed when I read about this - and the fact that scientists were predicting that a pandemic would happen.
Gvt precaustions / preparations as reported seem ludicrous. Vaccinate key workers such as doctors, nurses, firefighters - all fine - and tube drivers! oh right, that'll be no interruption of the service in which people are crammed together in a confined space coughing over each other! If i was in charge, I'd close the city down and tell people to stay at home for a period of quarantine.
It also seems bizarre that in the face of a potential threat for which they are apparantly commissioning temporary inflatable mortuaries, no-one suggests that flights from infected countries might be suspended. Meanwhile all sorts of dubious legislation and practices are being imposed because of an unquantified, unknown and unconfirmed threat.

charleypops Sun 13-Mar-05 22:24:20

It's just so scary

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: