Talk

Advanced search

NWR - anyone belong?

(14 Posts)
HUNKERMUNKER Sun 13-Mar-05 16:49:12

The National Women's Register... Anyone? Used to be the National Housewives Register.

RudyDudy Sun 13-Mar-05 16:50:05

what does it do?

HUNKERMUNKER Sun 13-Mar-05 17:04:57

More info on their website

GeorginaA Sun 13-Mar-05 17:47:21

Was going to, and then I got pregnant with ds2 and could face the travelling (my closest would have been a drive to the next town). Meant to join after ds2 was born, but to be honest I feel like I need it less now, having made some good friends in the area and collected so many hobbies that there's never any time in the evenings!!!

HUNKERMUNKER Sun 13-Mar-05 21:59:31

Anyone else?

GeorginaA Mon 14-Mar-05 10:48:28

Sorry, meant to say that my MIL put me on to them. She joined when it was the NHR and a new mum - made loads of friends and still has some of them now. When I moved to a new area it was one of the first things she recommended as a way to get to know people.

Hope that's a bit more helpful than my last comment

NomDePlume Mon 14-Mar-05 11:05:56

Glad they changed their name, at 'National Housewives Register' !!!

I'm not a member, and maybe I'm being a bit presumptuous but looking at the website I'm not sure it's my kind of thing. It looks a bit WI (baking, macrame, cross-stich etc) and I get the feeling I'd be the youngest member there by about 25 years.

HUNKERMUNKER Mon 14-Mar-05 11:07:52

I wondered about that too, NDP - and GeorginaA (have you changed your name back? Or am I thinking of someone else?!) - my mum suggested them to me as she'd enjoyed it so much when she was a new mum.

GeorginaA Mon 14-Mar-05 11:18:12

Yes, I changed it back from Casmie - got bored and wanted to be me again

I had a list of discussion topics of our local one and they didn't look too bad, NdP - I think it depends very much on your local group, tbh.

It's worth finding out where you local one is and ask if you can go to a couple of sessions before you commit - in my experience they were really friendly, and certainly worth a try.

suedonim Mon 14-Mar-05 14:19:15

I belong to NWR and have done for ages. It was originally called NHR because it was started up in the 50's/60's by a woman who was bored stiff by being a housewife and wanted to meet other hw's and have sonething more interesting in life than cooking and vacuuming.

Nomdeplume, MWR is nothing like the WI!! At it's basic level, it's a discussion group. Subjects that have been discussed at my group lately have been Alternative Therapies, nature v nurture and we often discuss topics related to what's happening in the world, such as immigration or stem cell research - whatever's in the news. Occasionally we have a speaker too.

Housework, children and jobs are 'forbidden' subjects for discussion on a personal level and home made biscuits/cakes are also no-no's, so there is no competing for the lightest sponge etc!. Some groups have sub-groups such as a book group. We set our topics twice a year and have monthly meetings. There's no pressure to speak, if you're shy, and you can attend for free twice before joining, which I think is only about 14gbp a year anyway. The profile has changed over the years as members have got older but we love to have younger women too! It was a lifeline to me when we were moving about as the children were smaller.

NomDePlume Mon 14-Mar-05 14:36:57

I stand corrected.

GeorginaA Mon 14-Mar-05 14:44:20

Why stand when you can sit?

NomDePlume Mon 14-Mar-05 14:46:03

If I sit, I'll stay and I can't afford to stay as DD is downstairs with a bowl of jacket spud and beans which she'll likely chuck across the kitchen in a fit of pique if I'm too long.

suedonim Mon 14-Mar-05 14:59:11

lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now