Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help - does anyone know a story about St Patricks Day please?

(5 Posts)
Aniles Sun 13-Mar-05 09:28:44

I desperately need a story about patricks day to read out in school assembly this week. I only realised yesterday that it's st patricks day on thur. I've looked in all the main bookstores including online (whs, waterstones, blakwells, amazon etc) and the only ones I can find won't be delivered in time, none of the stores I've been into have the books in stock.

I've searched for a story online but I'm having no luck. I can only find information about the history of st patrick, whereas I want a nice story suitable for infants. Can anyone direct me to a story online?
I will be eternally grateful for any help

northstar Sun 13-Mar-05 09:34:58

Aniles, the story of st patrick arriving in ireland is really VERY SIMPLE! It could easily be adapted to suit infants, he got off his boat, banished all the snakes and converted all the savage people to catholicism.

northstar Sun 13-Mar-05 09:36:03

Slightly tongue in cheek there but that's all i can remember being taught for many years and thats here in Ireland!

MissGalway Sun 13-Mar-05 09:38:37

The person who was to become St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, was born in Wales about AD 385. His given name was Maewyn.

When he was 16, he was sold into slavery to Ireland where he was a shepherd for 6 years. While in captivity he studied and turned to religion. He escaped slavery and later returned to Ireland as a missionary, determined to convert Ireland to Christianity. He used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity.

Patrick was quite successful at winning converts. And this fact upset the Celtic Druids. Patrick was arrested several times, but escaped each time. He traveled throughout Ireland, establishing monasteries across the country. He also set up schools and churches which would aid him in his conversion of the Irish country to Christianity.

His mission in Ireland lasted for thirty years. After that time, Patrick retired to County Down. He died on March 17 in AD 461. That day has been commemorated as St. Patrick's Day ever since.

Much Irish folklore surrounds St. Patrick's Day. Not much of it is actually substantiated. Some of this lore includes the belief that Patrick raised people from the dead. He also is said to have given a sermon from a hilltop that drove all the snakes from Ireland. Though originally a Catholic holy day, St. Patrick's Day has evolved into more of a secular holiday.

One traditional symbol of the day is the shamrock. And this stems from a more bona fide Irish tale that tells how Patrick used the three-leafed shamrock to explain the Trinity. He used it in his sermons to represent how the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit could all exist as separate elements of the same entity. His followers adopted the custom of wearing a shamrock on his feast day.

In Ireland, it is a religious holiday similar to Christmas and Easter.

Aniles Sun 13-Mar-05 10:22:27

Thank you northstar and MissGalway. That's really helpful. I must admit that when I realised I've got to do an assembly on St Patricks Day I realised I knew absolutely nothing about St Pat and nor did the few other teachers that I've asked!! But saying that, I wouldn't be able to tell you much about St George either!! Shocking isn't it!

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now