Talk

Advanced search

Just interested, who here is NOT english,, scot, norn ironer, or welsh?

(34 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Sat 12-Mar-05 17:50:22

Are there a lot of people on mumsnet who are not from the U.K.? Would love to know your take on things as you see us, and what "we" talk about. Are things similar in your countries?

LGJ Sat 12-Mar-05 17:57:38

I live in the Uk but I am Irish.

Clayhead Sat 12-Mar-05 18:00:06

I am British but my husband isn't

eidsvold Sat 12-Mar-05 22:17:22

an aussie although lived in England for four years and so appreciate the similarities and understand iykwim - to be honest - things are really not that different in terms of things mothers worry about and need support with.

Gwenick Sat 12-Mar-05 22:19:37

I'm British, but my DH isnt' and I lived abroad for 2 1/2yrs

sansouci Sat 12-Mar-05 22:21:54

I'm half'n'half... half Canadian, half British & live in Switzerland. DH is British.

emkana Sat 12-Mar-05 22:33:27

I'm German

sansouci Sat 12-Mar-05 22:47:16

emkana, you sweetie! You were so helpful with my ebay fiasco... it all worked out in the end, tho. Dd was thrilled with the Babyborn Xmas dress. Thank you!

highlander Sat 12-Mar-05 23:26:06

I'm Scottish but have been living in Vancouver, Canada for the last year.

sansouci Sun 13-Mar-05 00:21:57

oh, highlander! How I envy you! Vancouver is where I was born and where most of my family live. Do you love it, or even just like it?

ghosty Sun 13-Mar-05 01:06:41

I have a British passport but was born in South Africa, grew up in Holland, lived in the UK from age 19 to 32 and now live in New Zealand.

Cadmum Sun 13-Mar-05 02:16:52

I am Canadian and recently moved back to Canada after four years in London...

Cadmum Sun 13-Mar-05 02:18:50

Forgot to add that I am also eligible for a British Passport (mother is Scotish) but I have never applied for one. DS2 was born in UK but he only has a Canadian Passport as well.

jabberwocky Sun 13-Mar-05 03:33:01

American (did not vote for Bush btw)

cathncait Sun 13-Mar-05 05:58:52

I am an aussie. Born in Perth and live in Perth - moved to another aussie state briefly but came back. I find Mumsnet to be great as I can relate to the 'culture' better than some american sites - and australian sites are usually quite small. Mumsnet makes me want to come to the UK and check out all the different places and things you all chat about. .....one day......

alux Sun 13-Mar-05 08:01:20

Belizean with dual (British) nationality. Living in the UK for 7 yrs now. As a teen lived here for an additional two. Went to uni in the US. DH is British.

MissGalway Sun 13-Mar-05 08:12:06

I am southern Irish.

sparkly Sun 13-Mar-05 08:12:06

I'm Canadian - though born here - moved there when a mere babe with my family - moved back after uni and haven't left! DD, like me, has both a British and Canadian passport. DD's dad is English.

Highlander - how are you liking Vancouver? I went to grad school there having grown up on the Island. Miss it but am quite happy here, too!

whymummy Sun 13-Mar-05 08:13:33

i'm spanish
i see english people as friendly and very kind although i wish some were more child friendly.
i love your patience,you stand in queues for hours while back at home there would be a riot,i suppose the heat makes us impatient .
i don't understand your obsession with garden gnomes

mamadadawahwah Sun 13-Mar-05 09:12:35

My family in Vancouver too. Would love to go back, just cant bear to be "poor" again. LIving in the U.K., I have to say, my lifestyle changed for the better, which is hard to believe. Could never afford a house in Vancouver, and barely a car. Now its even worse, I think to live there. At least thats what my friends tell me. Sooo expensive.

Cristina7 Sun 13-Mar-05 09:35:15

I'm Romanian and have been living in the UK for 10 years. I sometimes visit a Romanian parents' website and I find the issues to be quite similar to those here. People tend to be more formal on the other site or else it's the language that appears a bit stiffer to me after all these years in the UK. I intensely dislike it when pregnant women refer to themselves as "we" to include the bump (e.g. "we are fine this morning", "we are hbaving a back ache") but then I remember finding it odd when people over here refer to the bump as "it".

eidsvold Sun 13-Mar-05 11:55:03

forgot to add that I have dual nationality though - british passport and aussie - like dd1 ( born in essex..... yup my very own essex girl and dd2( born is australia) is entitled to dual nationality - just haven't got that passport yet

yeye Sun 13-Mar-05 12:10:52

i am from the philippines but now i live in California USA.
Though i missed the philippines too much. People are nicer over there and lots of nature stuff.

sasa15 Sun 13-Mar-05 12:11:40

I'm italian, dh is english....

I like both cultures...

hermykne Sun 13-Mar-05 12:16:52

i'm irish , eastern
its such a big country!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now