Talk

Advanced search

Books for dd just learning to read

(7 Posts)
WigWamBam Sat 12-Mar-05 15:46:13

She's 3.75, just starting to read simple books herself and wants lots of them! I've got some Oxford Learning Tree stage 1+ for her, has anyone else got any recommendations for others I can try?

Frizbe Sat 12-Mar-05 16:15:06

Usborne do a good range, available all over the place via bookshops or your local rep, check out their webiste link

Frizbe Sat 12-Mar-05 16:15:55

do that again then! \link{http://www.usborne.com\link)

Frizbe Sat 12-Mar-05 16:16:20

oh for gawd's sake! link

LIZS Sat 12-Mar-05 16:23:18

I'd second Usborne. The Apple Tree Farm series are designed so the young reader reads the lines above the picture and the adult those below and they are nicely repetitive. The "Easy Words to read" books have lots of rhyme and repetition. Jolly Phonics do graded readers too.

We're approaching a similar point with dd. she loves books and will read to herself in bed at night. However she has already been exposed to the ORT through ds and her school will follow that and Jolly Phonics so am trying to avoid doing anything with those at home as am worried she'll become bored.

roisin Sat 12-Mar-05 16:32:13

Another great series to look out for are Puddle Lane books; they are no longer in print but you can often pick them up cheaply on Ebay.

It works along similar lines to the Usborne books - i.e. some text for the adult to read, some simple text for the child. Level One are very simple.

The Book People often do great value sets of beginner readers books. For example, if you look under Kids Fiction 5-7 yr olds there is a set of Usborne Beginners books (similar concept to Apple Tree Farm etc.), but with non-fiction books about Knights, Romans, Caterpillars, .. etc. 10 books for £7.99 = bargain!

WigWamBam Sat 12-Mar-05 16:37:26

Thank you - I'll have a look for those.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: