Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE HELP!!! EMERGENCY

(13 Posts)
yeye Sat 12-Mar-05 14:26:17

Hello. me, my dh and my ds are currently renting a one bedroom apt and the rent is $875.00, 5 months ago my sister offered me her 3 bedroom house for only $1,000. Around where I live (orange county) to rent a house it usually goes from 1,400 and up. Basicly shes giving me a really good deal. So, we took it and we are supposed to move next week. Yesterday my sisters dh called my dh and said that the rent for the house is too cheap and now he is planning to raise the rent $200-$300 more after 8 to 9 months of living at his house.And also he wants us to babysit his 2 children once a week 9 hrs for free. My sister usually gives me 40.00 a week for baby sitting the children but now my sisters dh wants it for free because he feels like he's getting ripped off by renting his house for $1,000 and by giving us $40.00 a week to baby sit his children.
Also since he's not asking for security deposit we have to clean his house, paint the walls and change the carpet for the whole house. I dont know if this is fair or not. If i dont take this deal i know i will not get a house to rent for this price but the thing is my sisters dh already complained so many things and telling us that he's not happy with the rent and we didnt even move in yet. I just dont want to move in and everything will get worse. He even told us that the carpet and the whole house should be clean when we move out even it was dirty the time we moved in which i dont have a problem. But the thing is he already complained too much and we dont even live at his house yet. I dont know if I should move in to his house or just stay where I am. Please help , i am really confused and for some reasons my dh doesnt care where we move to.
Should i stay or move?
my sisters dh also told us by moving to his house he's doing us a big favor. He keeps telling us that he can always find someone who will rent it for more than $1000. What pissed me off is I never asked him if we can move in nor asked him to rent his house for $1000. He offered us and we accepted it but now he's making it a big deal.
What should I do now?? PLEASE HELP!!!

starlover Sat 12-Mar-05 14:32:08

To be honest, I wouldn't move in.
It sounds like he is going to try and take you for a ride. He shouldn't have offered it to you at that rent if he wanted more. And to sayhe's gonna raise it and expect all that other stuff is so out of order!

The problem is he'll probably keep adding more and more things to the list... just because he is doing you a "favour"... i think in the long run it won't be worth the hassle....

by the time you have paid for all the extras he wants done then you may as well be paying the extra rent from someone who won't take you for a ride!

stitch Sat 12-Mar-05 14:37:34

stay well clear of him and his house.
you will only cause yourself and your relationship with your sister and your dh problems if you move into this house.
you may live in a small place, but you are not made to feel like the poor relations here. but this man will make you feel this way.
obviously your dh is allowing you to make the decision as this is your family.

pixiefish Sat 12-Mar-05 14:40:22

i'd stay where i was. it's cheaper and you haven't got the hassle of renting off family

yeye Sat 12-Mar-05 14:58:31

i think ur all right. Thanks for the help. Its not really worth living in the house owned by him. All he thinks is about himself. I dont mind watching his kids for free. All he can do is ask me nicely not threaten me that he's gonna raise the rent more if we dont watch his kids. If he wanted more money then he should have said it before not now that we are about to move. If i tell him i am not gonna rent his house and i am not gonna babysit his children he's going to end paying more money for babysitter and the mortgage.

coppertop Sat 12-Mar-05 15:39:08

I agree with the others. He is being very unreasonable about this. If he wants to raise the rent (I'm presuming that your sister knows about this?) then that's fair enough. However, expecting you to be an on-call babysitter and decorator is not on IMHO. I suspect he would be constantly telling your dh that he's doing you all a favour and sooner or later you and dh are going to seriously resent this.

yeye Sun 13-Mar-05 10:52:31

thank you all for your advice. Today my dh is going to tell him straight up that we are not moving out because of his too much complaints and we're not even his tenants yet. What pissed me off also because we moved all the way from nj to ca so i can live closer to my sister and now they are giving me all these crap that i dont need. Theres no such thing as free babysitter. I dont mind babysitting my nieces but i dont want it to make my responsibility that i have to do it in order for him to give us cheaper rent. He never mentioned that when we agreed to rent the house. Now that we're supposed to move next week, he's telling us all these demands. You all are right. So what if its the last minute that we change our mind he did the same thing. Its about time he gets to taste his own medicine!!!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Sun 13-Mar-05 11:00:36

Good on you. Have just read this thread. He's having a laugh! He's trying to make you into his personal slaves. A good firm NO! should put him back in his place. As for babysitting, don't you do it without pay. How dare he! You're people not property. How awful that people do that to each other, and to their own family as well.

starlover Sun 13-Mar-05 11:11:22

good on you!

munnzieb Sun 13-Mar-05 11:50:42

good on u girl, I hope you haven't given notice on ur apt yet?

yeye Sun 13-Mar-05 12:04:51

thats the thing. I already gave notice to the apartment, do u think its too late to back out?
do u think the management would let me stay here?

Freckle Sun 13-Mar-05 12:31:26

Depends on whether they already have another tenant or not. If they don't then they'd probably be pleased that you want to stay. If they do, they may not be able to let you stay if they've already signed a tenancy agreement with the new tenants.

yeye Sun 13-Mar-05 12:42:22

thanks for the advice, now i just have to tell them on monday. Hope everything goes well. thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now