Talk

Advanced search

Wealthiest places to live

(5 Posts)
Hulababy Sat 12-Mar-05 11:20:56

Following on from the income thread, where some people talked bout the wealthiest places to live...

I found this. I remember reading about it before. This is the top 10:

1 Tatton, Cheshire
2 Hallam, Sheffield
3 Kensington and Chelsea, London
4 Leeds North East
5 Macclesfield, Cheshire
6 Altrincham and Sale West, Greater Manchester
7 Cheadle, Cheshire
8 Harrogate and Knaresborough, Yorkshire
9 Warwick and Leamington
10 Haltemprice and Howden, East Yorkshire

Graph here

Think it is quite suprising for some people to see that the North tops the lists, much more so than the South!

But it is based on REAL INCOME, SO ALSO TAKES INTO ACCOUNT COST OF LIVING IN AN AREA.

"The study found the actual average wage in Tatton was £29,303. But that was worth a "real" average income of £41,506 once the cost of living was taken into account, it said.

Hallam in Sheffield came a close second with an average "real" income of £41,289.

The wealthy London borough of Kensington and Chelsea - the richest part of the UK by conventional measures - came a poor third.

That was even though average salaries there are actually the UK's highest, at £40,951 (the adjusted "real" figure is the same). "

Of the top 50 wealthiest areas:

12 are in the North West
Nine are in the South West
Seven are in Yorkshire
Six are in the West Midlands
Five are in the East Midlands
Four are in London
Three are in the South East
Two are in Wales
One is in the North East
One is in the East

The poorest areas are:

POOREST AREAS
1 Tottenham, London
2 West Ham, London
3 Camberwell & Peckham, London
East Ham, London
Birmingham Sparkbrook

Twiglett Sat 12-Mar-05 11:38:55

Funny how 4 of them are in South Manchester environs isn't it?

Toothache Sat 12-Mar-05 11:59:34

None in Scotland??? I would've thought Edinburgh would be right up there are the mo!

bundle Sat 12-Mar-05 12:00:18

cheshire has highest sales of champagne in uk i believe

Freckle Sat 12-Mar-05 12:04:57

Makes sense if you think about it. The south and south-east are probably the most expensive places to live, which means that most people's income is taken up on just the basics - even if they are earning a very decent salary. So therefore, the wealthiest places to live are those where the inhabitants have a greater disposable income because the cost of living is less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now