loader

Talk

Advanced search

How dumb is your local newspaper?

(54 Posts)
ks Fri 11-Mar-05 16:17:13

Message withdrawn

tarantula Fri 11-Mar-05 16:21:48

I love the local papers. I read ours avidly but prefer the ones at home in Ireland cos they use wonderfully gradiose language. Our local at home is the Liffey Valley News and its fantastic. Cant think of any examples offhand but I when I read it I do a spot the 'Irishisms'.

Pamina3 Fri 11-Mar-05 16:24:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TinyGang Fri 11-Mar-05 16:31:46

Absolutely! Ours puts some very serious stuff on the front page. 'Bike tyre let down..any info please contact blah blah'. 'Back door left open. Teabags stolen!' Well I made that one up, but they're around that mark, iykwim.

Marina Fri 11-Mar-05 16:34:51

Snort ks and especially Pamina .
I'm going to stick up for our local News Shopper. Frankly, editorially, it is a lot more sound on issues like racism than the Evening Standard (what a rag). They can't really be held responsible for the letters from single-issue local loons

ks Fri 11-Mar-05 16:37:05

Message withdrawn

coppertop Fri 11-Mar-05 16:46:00

Ours had a full page devoted to a woman who'd found an insect in some corned beef. Rivetting news. Lots of wheelie bin fires too.

Marina Fri 11-Mar-05 16:56:13

I'd be quite pleased to find an insect in my corned beef. Probably upped the nutritional value considerably. I can see that your local papers are all considerably more barking than my cutting edge suburban one...ours is leading a worthy and worrying campaign this week to find out why a shifty looking GP has been sacked by the local PCT. No-one is telling his patients anything...

FrenchGirl Fri 11-Mar-05 17:00:57

when dh was running a Euro election campaign a few years ago in Kent, he used to send letters to the local rags signed by his dog and some friends' dogs (Mr George Boyce, etc....) supporting his candidate, showing concern about particular issues, and they were always published
Our local paper is cr*p too, but I can't be bothered to read it....

whymummy Fri 11-Mar-05 17:03:29

lol @ this thread
pamina our local paper is also the informer and i do love reading it,i kept and add that appeared in the job sections because the printing mistake made me pmsl it was asking for staff to work,wait for it,on a SHIT ROASTER!!! i still got it if you don't believe me,they obviously meant shift rotta,i'm sure someone did it on purpose

roisin Fri 11-Mar-05 17:08:54

Our local rag makes me laugh with its little issues and campaigns. But it's circulation and coverage figures are astonishing - one of the highest in the country I believe, so you can't not get it

Also essential reading when job hunting too

ks Fri 11-Mar-05 17:14:53

Message withdrawn

jampots Fri 11-Mar-05 17:18:37

yes i love local papers - our local one a while back reported that "the thieves made off in a Zoobeedoo Impreza" (instead of Subaru)

ks Fri 11-Mar-05 17:19:25

Message withdrawn

suedonim Fri 11-Mar-05 17:49:50

Our local rag is marvellous, too. One week they had an article on how someone had stolen some bread rolls from a shop. And although the event it referred to wasn't at all funny, I gurgled out loud at the headline news that a local man had narrowly escaped death in an Eygptian terrorist atrocity because he'd holidayed in that location two weeks previously. Forgodssake there must be something more interesting happening, surely?? The paper also got into trouble for headlining an Easter Passion event with "Just Hanging About In X" Never let it be said our local reporters are professionals.

Marina Fri 11-Mar-05 17:53:34

Anyone familiar with this ?

katierocket Fri 11-Mar-05 17:55:26

our local paper is called 'Community News' - 'nuff said!

Enid Fri 11-Mar-05 17:57:42

Ooo arr, the Blackmore Vale Mag has lots of articles about mini-diggers, ooo arrrr!

Also the headline once was about someone deliberately stepping in wet cement when the new pavement was laid in the High Street.

Enid Fri 11-Mar-05 17:58:49

dhs fave from our local rag is:

Police Launch Death Probe

(visions of Police masterminds in secret James bond like volcano location with amazing laser rocket)

Davros Fri 11-Mar-05 17:59:08

Our 2 local papers are really good and I get twitchy if i don't get my hands on them on the day they come out. I don't buy national newspapers at all, I'm much more interested in local issues. Mind you, we've just had a double murder, various ASBOs, Jamie Oliver lecturing locally etc.

mummytosteven Fri 11-Mar-05 17:59:51

Oh Marina that link was superb

the useless UFO story [rofl]

iota Fri 11-Mar-05 18:06:06

a fine example from our local rag
here

coppertop Fri 11-Mar-05 18:24:58

And tonight's report:

"Thieves have stolen two portable toilets from a field. The offenders made off with the pink and blue mobile toilet buildings on Wednesday night...."

They've tried to add some 'humour' by putting the old chestnut "Police are appealing for information as they have little to go on at the moment."

It gets worse. The headline is.....wait for it....

"Throne Thieves Strike in Field"

Can it get any worse?

ks Fri 11-Mar-05 18:37:32

Message withdrawn

WideWebWitch Fri 11-Mar-05 18:51:29

ha ha at this thread. The local paper in Devon was hilarious too. One page 3 story was all about how a chef hadn't turned up for work at the local Chinese restaurant but police weren't treating it as suspicious because he'd emptied his flat and been seen buying a one way ticket to London! The police were quoted as saying 'we think he's gone to London.' I kept that cutting in my kitchen drawer for ages, it made me snigger so much. Bill Bryson talks about how priceless local news headlines are doesn't he and says his favourite is 'Man, 81, dies.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now