Talk

Advanced search

Witty yet withering put-downs needed for the inevitable comments when people hear about dd3

(53 Posts)
Pamina3 Fri 11-Mar-05 14:15:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gwenick Fri 11-Mar-05 14:17:21

"actually I wanted a martian"

sorry not very good at witty comments -

motherinferior Fri 11-Mar-05 14:19:58

They're my backing singers.

I just don't like penises.

Waswondering Fri 11-Mar-05 14:20:26

4 more and we have our netball team!

milward Fri 11-Mar-05 14:20:34

My dh gets lots of jokes along the lines - of where do you get some peace & quiet in a house with 4 females? - even our gp says this. Dh can't u/s these comments. He just laughs, doesn't respond & moves converstaion along. Think that it's just an easy comment to make as sometimes people don't know what to say & it sort of breaks the ice. Good luck with your 3dd - for us everything is fine with 3.

motherinferior Fri 11-Mar-05 14:20:53

Actually what I'd do is pre-empt it by saying 'we're really lucky - we've got another GIRL!'

But as you know, I can't think of anything nicer than three little girls myself

morningpaper Fri 11-Mar-05 14:22:54

"Yeah we were hoping for a dog actually."

lockets Fri 11-Mar-05 14:24:48

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Fri 11-Mar-05 14:26:48

- you're all so much wittier than me - wish I could delete my onw

motherinferior Fri 11-Mar-05 14:28:26

Just look appalled at the very suggestion of a boy and say 'good god, no, we wouldn't have had a third child if it was a boy' and leave them wondering, faintly...

ionesmum Fri 11-Mar-05 14:29:35

When I had dd2 dh was told he wasn't a man until he had fathered a boy! Your dh could try saying something along the lines of, 'Another lovely daddy's girl - I'm so lucky'.

I only have two dds (so far! [grin} and he still gets lots of 'consolation' for not having a boy. Like either of us would trade dd2 in...

Janh Fri 11-Mar-05 14:30:40

Agree with MI - I think you are very very lucky .

IMHO the best answer to crass comments like "oh, but weren't you hoping for a boy" or "bet you want a boy for you this time" is a flat "er, no, actually". (But then I really really wanted another girl 3rd time round and nobody believed me so I am bitter and twisted!)

nnosam Fri 11-Mar-05 14:30:47

"boys are smelly, so why would i want one when i can have three lovely roses"

motherinferior Fri 11-Mar-05 14:32:10

oooh I would love three girls...

flamesparrow Fri 11-Mar-05 14:32:47

I liked the martian one honey...

Gwenick Fri 11-Mar-05 14:34:06

are wifes' mum's supposed to be worse MIL's than the husband's mums'..........

If so you could cackle loudly - "HAHA I get to be the evil mother in law 3 times over"

juniperdewdrop Fri 11-Mar-05 14:34:06

Congrats Pamina!!

I'd love a 3rd boy but am sticking at 2 as I'm ancient lol. I had the comments too and the 'looks' grrrrrrrr

My mate Gill had her 3rd boy and was sent a card that had written in it 'better luck next time'

Just tell people, Oh yes I desperately wanted a boy so am selling this one on ebay

Freckle Fri 11-Mar-05 14:34:45

Just say, "Well, we believe in passing down clothes and a boy would look a bit silly in pink."

chipmonkey Fri 11-Mar-05 14:34:50

I would love even ONE girl! Three would be to die for !

Mud Fri 11-Mar-05 14:36:17

ooo congratulations on your 3rd DD .. how exciting

sorry can't think of any witty comebacks, I think girls are wonderful and would have a house full of them if I could

dinosaur Fri 11-Mar-05 14:50:04

As some of you know I've got three DSs. We were all in the Coffee Shop in John Lewis when DS3 was only a few weeks old and some nosey old bat really annoyed me by asking where our girl was!

Some witty mumsnetter (sorry,I just can't remember who) came up with what would have been a marvellous response: "Well, we left our three girls out on a hillside so we could have three boys."

Wish I'd thought of it!

And steady on there, motherinferior!

Pamina3 Fri 11-Mar-05 15:02:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dinosaur Fri 11-Mar-05 15:06:13

Oh it's such bollocks isn't it Pamina?

We were very very happy that DS3 was another boy - I rather dreaded the idea of having a girl after two boys - I just wasn't sure it would work out very well.

But there is this assumption that mums want at least one little girl and dads at least one little boy.

Anyway, hearty congrats!

bibiboo Fri 11-Mar-05 15:06:35

I go with motherinferiors comment about pre-empting them with how happy you are that it's another girl. Only the rudest of rude people could then pass comment. If that happens you are allowed by LAW to a) wallop them or b) tell them to f off - both are allowed if you are visibly pregnant, that way passers by won't think you're mental for hitting someone
Congrats by the way.

ionesmum Fri 11-Mar-05 15:11:10

pamina, my dd1 is a real trainspotter, her favourite video is 'Great Steam Engines'. My dad is soooooooo happy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now