Talk

Advanced search

So if something has no added sugar and no artifical colours or preservities..

(22 Posts)
DippyDora Sun 02-Nov-08 16:02:20

Its not got any crap in it?

Is that right?

misdee Sun 02-Nov-08 16:04:19

does it have sweetners? or fillers?

is it just meat? or veg?

grouchyoscar Sun 02-Nov-08 16:04:29

IME it probably has aspartame in it. I have very bad reactions to this additive and I avoid it at all cost.

Buda Sun 02-Nov-08 16:04:46

Well you would think so! But look at the label anyway! I still find aspartame in things labelled no added sugar and not artificial colours etc.

DippyDora Sun 02-Nov-08 16:14:35

What is aspartame?

Romy7 Sun 02-Nov-08 16:14:59

if it says no artificial sweeteners it shouldn't have aspartame...

lol in any case, as no added sugar means it has got enough in already... is this for dcs who are sensitive to colours etc or as part of weight loss? give us a clue?

Romy7 Sun 02-Nov-08 16:15:52

an artificial sweetener... so not sugar lol, so technically no added sugar.

KatyMac Sun 02-Nov-08 16:18:37

I hate aspartame - it gives me the squits

DippyDora Sun 02-Nov-08 16:21:36

I'm just trying to educate myself about all this sort of thing.

I know labelling can be very decepitive but I dont know anything else

KatyMac Sun 02-Nov-08 16:24:27

IMO (& I am very biased) I look for stuff that I can actually find in a kitchen

Things with chemical names are low on my list, as are artifical flavours & colours & sugars

Tescos do a very nice pasta sauce & tomato salsa, in fact a lot of their things only have 'ingredients' in them rather than chemicals

KatyMac Sun 02-Nov-08 16:26:20

Also DD looks for the food with fewer ingredients - so with burgers - beef, onion, black pepper & salt

Crunchies come out better than haribo

stayinbed Sun 02-Nov-08 16:27:26

i find that most of the time when it says 'no added sugar' it means 'contains aspartame' there are also other sweeteners similar to aspartame with a similar sounding name

you are far better off with sugar than aspartame. i avoid aspartame at all costs.

read your labels carefully a lot of the vitamins (for ex the boots brand ones) contain aspartame

grouchy - what reaction do you have to it?

GunpowderTreasonAndLemon Sun 02-Nov-08 16:33:19

Depends on your efinition of crap, of course.

IME if something says "no artificial colours or preservatives" it probably does have artificial sweeteners (since if it didn't it would be loudly trumpeting that fact too. Particularly if it says "no added sugar" as adding artificial sweeteners is ofen how they avoid adding sugar.

Also neee to watch out for fat content (especially trans fats) and salt levels (bear in mind recommende limits and that sometimes figures are counted as grams of salt and sometimes as grams of sodium).

Even if something contains no added nasties at all it doesn't mean that consuming huge amounts of it is good for you.

KatyMac Sun 02-Nov-08 16:56:32

I agree GPT&L - but my definition suggests that stuff that is made naturally & has been eaten for thousands of years has a slight chance of being safe to eat......so I choose Butter & olive Oil not marg, sugar not artificial sweetners and chocolate not celery wink

KerryMum Sun 02-Nov-08 16:57:04

it would taste like shit

KerryMum Sun 02-Nov-08 16:58:09

i have no problems with sugar. have big problem swith carcinogens aspartme, etc.

mabanana Sun 02-Nov-08 16:59:20

I try to avoid all artificial sweeteners, flavours, and certainly all trans-fats (hydrogenated fats).

DippyDora Sun 02-Nov-08 18:16:38

Oh god, its all so confusing

grouchyoscar Sun 02-Nov-08 21:34:31

Stayinbed. I have Relapsing remitting MS. I find aspartame causes a flare up of my symptoms and I can link an attack to within 2 hours of injesting the stuff.

The thing is it is in so much stuff. Most squashes, even the ones not labeled as 'sugar free' Most fizzy drinks, low fat yoghurts and even crisps FFS.

It is truly toxic IMHO. Just eat less stuff with real sugar in it. I also agree with the points made about fats too. stick to olive oil, butter and no hydrogenated cack.

KatyMac Sun 02-Nov-08 22:00:50

grouchyoscar - I can so understand where you are coming from

I have ME/CFS which is nothing like MS I know - but it brings on my symptoms very quickly

You sound like me - sat on the floor with the contents of the bin around me trying to work out what the hell it was hiding in this time

With fizzy drinks it is a nightmare - I used to drink oringina while I was out (pubs etc) then for ages it made me ill - couldn't work out why for ages then it turns out they changed the recipe.......then blow me they changed it back a few yrs later???hmm

mabanana Sun 02-Nov-08 22:02:35

Yes, Orangina the only fizzy drink I let ds have.

KatyMac Sun 02-Nov-08 22:17:16

7-p & sprite are aspartame free (but quite acid imo)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now