Talk

Advanced search

PIL want to know what to get DD for her first birthday. What did your DC like best?

(23 Posts)
overbuurvrouw Sat 01-Nov-08 20:02:34

I'm entirely without inspiration and I'm going to have to let MIL know tomorrow. So, please tell me what your DCs favorite toys were between one and two.

I think they were thinking of some sort of 'big toy' but I'm not sure if they ever actually get played with...

mummyloveslucy Sat 01-Nov-08 20:26:28

I bought my daughter a beautiful steiff bear that growls. She wasn't at all fussed about it.
She loved the haelium balloons at the party, they were the best thing in her eyes. grin

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 01-Nov-08 20:28:01

DD loved a walker with blocks in, hers came from Letterbox and blocks had numbers and letters on so still going strong

BroccoliSpears Sat 01-Nov-08 20:30:16

This was one of those rare toys that actually got played with a lot. My dd played with it from about 6 months (just sucking the shapes and enjoying the noises) right through and still plays with it now she's 2.6. Mostly I think toys are an expensive, ugly, waste of money, but this I recommend.

WinkyWinkola Sat 01-Nov-08 20:32:53

These or the cotton reels absorb my 18 month old DD

melpomene Sat 01-Nov-08 20:33:12

Another vote for the wooden walker/trolley with blocks in it. Ours helped both my dds learn to walk, and 4 years later we can't bring ourselves to get rid of it because they still sometimes use it to push toys around or pretend that it is an icecream cart

pointydog Sat 01-Nov-08 20:46:13

a ball

the gps got dd1 a little table and two chairs set from ELC when she was 16 months. Lasted for years. Might be agood idea

overbuurvrouw Sat 01-Nov-08 20:50:25

Thanks everyonesmile

DP came home with a trolly with blocks for her a couple of weeks ago <numpty DP> DD absolutely loves it!

Broccoli - is that VTech thing as 'busy' as thing like the ball and the book? A friends DD has those and I'm not too keen TBH. It doesn't look as 'busy...

overbuurvrouw Sat 01-Nov-08 20:51:39

She has a ball, she's not really interested in it. Good to know it'll come into it's owngrin

MrsSanta Sat 01-Nov-08 21:19:25

what abut a small dolls house, we got dd one it was ovely.little people i think and you can add other bits to.

AccidentalMum Sat 01-Nov-08 21:32:46

Rukka Dugies so that they can mess in the park even in this weather smile

overbuurvrouw Sat 01-Nov-08 21:35:31

Rukka Dugies?

shortshafe Sun 02-Nov-08 00:12:48

dd got a wheelybug for her 1st birthday - has played with it every day since - she's now 2. Also very popular from 18 months ish has been the 'v tech sort and soar rocket', a shape sorter with loads of noises, tunes, colours, flashy lights etc.
Little people stuff also very popular here, as is her doll and pushchair.

Niecie Sun 02-Nov-08 00:33:55

DS1 had a sit on truck that he played with for ages.

However, the thing that he played with for ages was something like this. Not exactly the same but with a helter skelter. He first saw a helter skelter at the mother and baby group we went to and all the little ones loved it. They seemed to be able to watch the balls going round for ages.

BroccoliSpears Sun 02-Nov-08 08:27:44

Not sure what you mean by busy. It only really does anything when you press the button to ask it to do that particular thing - it's not manic or jerky. It doesn't drive me crackers anyway.

You can choose the setting (numbers, colours, tunes etc) and then as you push the shape through the right hole it says ONE or RED or plays a tune, according to the setting. You can also use it with no sound.

meep Sun 02-Nov-08 08:36:43

another vote for a wheelybug - it is the one toy that gets squeals of excitement every day!!!

StayFrosty Sun 02-Nov-08 13:03:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

countingto10 Sun 02-Nov-08 21:48:38

Ball popper from Playskool (Argos) was a firm favourite with mine.

Feenie Sun 02-Nov-08 21:51:25

My ds loved the Amazing Animal Train - I bought it for 2 nieces' first birthdays too, and they all still play with it at 2/3 yrs.

Milliways Sun 02-Nov-08 21:54:55

MIL bought DD a small handmade wooden rocking horse from a craft fayre. It was fab and did both of my kids for year -was then lent to cousins and is now in loft awaiting another generation!

They also got her a wooden dolls cradle another year which was great for teddies!

Scifinerd Sun 02-Nov-08 22:02:03

Wheelybug, my 7-year old even plays with it. Found empty cardboard boxes have the most play

ilovemydogOBAMAFORPRESIDENT Sun 02-Nov-08 22:03:10

ditto for wheely bug

Hersetta Tue 04-Nov-08 14:05:32

My DD who is 14 months got a TP eagle swing with a toddler seat and a crabbie sand pit - both of which she adores and squeels with delight when we go into the garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now