Talk

Advanced search

What do I do with all my old records??

(20 Posts)
flashingnose Thu 10-Mar-05 21:23:05

I've got boxes and boxes of them in the loft. Should I keep them for an appearance on the Antiques Roadshow in 40 years time? Are they worth anything? Or should I have a ceremonial trip to the tip?

We're all about the same age - what have you done with yours?

Gem13 Thu 10-Mar-05 21:26:54

DH checked his rarer ones (Iron Maiden... when he was a teenager before I knew him ) on eBay and we will list the valuable ones on there at some point.

Others will go to a charity shop I guess. We don't have a record player so there's not much point in saving them for DS and DD to laugh about.

misdee Thu 10-Mar-05 21:28:28

what sort are they?

(7", 12", albums/singles?)

wgat artists?

ThomCat Thu 10-Mar-05 21:28:41

Never, ever do anything except keep them and play them now & then, vinly should be treasured.

flashingnose Thu 10-Mar-05 21:31:19

God, all sorts. Mostly indie Eighties stuff . Have to say I tend to agree with you TC.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 10-Mar-05 21:32:03

agreed thomcat. The tip?? oh the shame

Hulababy Thu 10-Mar-05 21:32:38

Someone at work has records all over his study wall. When he moved to a new house, that is how he decided to decorate the room. He had a house warming apparantly, and everyone had to bring a record to contribute.

helsi Thu 10-Mar-05 21:32:43

keep them or sell the crap ones sorry less popular) on ebay or to a vinyl dealer.

ThomCat Thu 10-Mar-05 21:33:43

D has 100's of 1000's of records, some in storage and some in the loft, some at PIL, and most in the spare room / studio. Long live vinyl.

wheresmyfroggy Thu 10-Mar-05 21:33:50

vinyl is good, vinyl is your friend

I've got loads and couldn't bear to get rid of any of it (even all the stuff i don't really like anymore)

Whizzz Thu 10-Mar-05 21:35:23

Vinyl is 'proper' music.
I was going to type Oh how I miss 12 inches but thought better of it

SenoraPostrophe Thu 10-Mar-05 21:36:08

are there any vinyl dealers left?

buy a record player - there's nothing quite like the ceremony of putting a record on properly.

flashingnose Thu 10-Mar-05 21:36:24

Good - will print this off to show DH .

"See, it's not just me..."

Snugs Thu 10-Mar-05 21:36:50

In the process of laboriously transferring all of ours to cd, via the computer, and then they will be carefully packed away somewhere safe.

Gem13 Thu 10-Mar-05 21:43:55

I thought they should be treasured too until I saw what was there. Admittedly a history of my teenage years but mostly ones I'd rather forget - Howard Jones, Marillion, Fine Young Cannibals, and my favourite - 'Rap Trax'! The list of awfulness goes on and on.

albosmum Thu 10-Mar-05 21:58:50

My dh would say "keep forever" "vinyl is lovely" and the "covers are nice" and "I have some really rare signed ones" .
I would say transfer them to CD and get rid

misdee Thu 10-Mar-05 22:02:58

i say geta deck and get playing.

actually i have a set of technics 1210's mk3, with stanton mixer possibly for sale soon

jampots Thu 10-Mar-05 22:07:35

depends what they are flashingnose - there's a shop in Brum called Reddingtons Rare Records - if you have anything rarish they may be worth a call

sievehead Thu 10-Mar-05 22:09:20

Wny not er... actually listen to them? We've just reinstated our turntable (i threw most of my good records out a year ago) - and its definitely better quality than CDs....

nightowl Thu 10-Mar-05 23:49:10

i just found a load the other day, most with large holes in the middle from our pub jukebox. donr suppose they will ever be useful but cant bear to throw them away.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: