Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

mobile phones - anyone know about sat nav / GPS?

(4 Posts)
notanickname Sat 01-Nov-08 14:38:18

A question for those more technically advanced than me!!
I'm thinking of upgrading my phone and was tempted by having Sat Nav thing, which I think is called GPS?? Just wondered if anyone has this and how it works - ie do you need to buy any additional software or does it cost you extra to use it? Or do you have to be on a special sort of tarriff?
And... is it any good?
Thanks for any advice!

supportman Sat 01-Nov-08 23:04:48

I have a Nokia N95 which has built in sat-nav. All the software is pre loaded and it is free to view the maps and plan a route but the voice guidance requires a subscription of £50 per year. AFAIK you don't need any sort of tarrif and I would imagine that you would get the same features on PAYG, though it sometimes gets data by GPRS so there may be a cost involved there.

The mapping is quite clear, easy to use and much like a proper sat-nav. The main problem I have found though is getting a GPS signal can sometimes be very difficult, especially in bad weather.

There is a new phone out, the N96, which I don't know much about but would assume it has the same sort of thing.

HTH

IAteMakkaPakka Sat 01-Nov-08 23:07:08

Ditto supportman - DP has a N95 and we use the GPS for geocaching - signal a bit iffy in bad weather or under trees (obviously) but easy to use and in our case was a bit of a bonus really.

notanickname Sat 01-Nov-08 23:43:58

Thanks for the replies, that's helpful.
I'll just try to get my head round phones and tarriffs! Maybe one day we'll all have sat-nav or maps as standard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now