Advanced search

How to get the Women ???

(43 Posts)
Beetroot Thu 10-Mar-05 14:12:25

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Thu 10-Mar-05 14:54:04

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Thu 10-Mar-05 14:57:34

I think women go mainly for the "feel" of a house rather than anything tanglible.

Although I would suggest fresh flowers, open the curtains as far as you can to get lots of light in, and make sure the place smells fresh without reeking of air freshener.

morningpaper Thu 10-Mar-05 14:59:14

Make it really really clean so that they don't think "that needs a scrub for starters"...

Make the garden tidy.

Hide all the toys.

Roobedoo Thu 10-Mar-05 15:00:30

This is probably terribly sexist, but fresh flowers, fresh smelling, lots of daylight and spotlessly clean? Trying to think what made me fall for our house and it was all of the above. That de-cluttered look worked for me too (just so I could imagine all our clutter rather than theirs!)

morningpaper Thu 10-Mar-05 15:01:39

Actually I think that women tend to see the potential of a home more than men, so if the men already like it, I think most of the battle may be won already!

Marina Thu 10-Mar-05 15:04:11

Do you have an Aga Beety...warm some rolls in it to make the place smell discreetly of crusty bread. Have fresh coffee brewing...
Make double sure that the bathrooms are spotless (I'm sure that's the case already...)
BRIBE THE KIDS TO NOT HAVE DIFFERENT MUSIC BLARING OUT FROM EACH BEDROOM - in fact, have them carted off for the morning...
Women like poking around in cupboards so if you have any where stuff has been jammed in for a frantic tidy-up (definitely the case in Marina Towers), try and make sure an avalanche of crud will not occur if they open up...IME some women don't ask, they just fling open doors.
Good luck! Was wondering if your move was under way.

pinotgrigio Thu 10-Mar-05 15:09:24

Agree with all. You need to project a 'lifestyle' (sorry for using this term, must have read it in poncey mag somewhere). Warm bread, clean, nice smelling house, no clutter, visons of Sunday morning Beety style with clean well behaved kids, freshly split crusty warm bread rolls with honey& jam, just brewed coffee, Sunday papers, fresh spring sunshine streaming in on happy family scene.

OK. You've sold it to me. Can I have it?

Pamina3 Thu 10-Mar-05 15:13:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 15:13:24

We needed to sell our last house v quickly, so did everything we could to push it. It went within a week.

Things we did (based on the principle that people need to imagine it becoming their home):

Mega de-clutter - especially kitchen worksurfaces

No toys/kids paintings in sight at all

Removed all personal photos

Fresh flowers in sitting room, main bedroom and bathroom

Loo seat down

Use lighting where approriate eg make sure under cupboard lighting in kitchen on, lamps in bedrooms, esp this time of year.

This one is hilarious, but it worked - I made a cafetier of coffee just before a viewing so nice coffee smells wafted round downstairs.

brinkley Thu 10-Mar-05 15:17:59

hire a calvin klein model for the day to loom around shirtless in your garden doing odd jobs

Beetroot Thu 10-Mar-05 15:24:05

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Thu 10-Mar-05 15:24:54

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Thu 10-Mar-05 15:26:44

Message withdrawn

PuffTheMagicDragon Thu 10-Mar-05 15:36:31

Agree on the amount of bloody effort involved Beety, I was sooo glad the house sold quickly, no way could I have sustained the effort required for any length of time!

We also had to leave the place every time anyone wanted to view it with the agent - it was a tiny 16th century cottage and we made the place look even smaller when we hung about.

Good luck with it all .

wilbur Thu 10-Mar-05 15:44:22

There was something on one of those sell your house progs that I thought was a good tip - if you are showing people round yourself, open the doors to the rooms and let them go in first so you are not in the room when they first see it, esp if it's a smaller room. Good luck beetroot - hope all the flowers and nice smells do it for you!

Blu Thu 10-Mar-05 15:45:04

Discreetly drop lots of stuff into 'casual small talk' - freindliness and community spirit of village - happy local children - or choice of smart wine bars as appropriate. How nice the neighbours are, how the gulf stream pumps an individual blast of warm summer air straight into your garden. How freindly and authentic the local pub is, how the village have a street party...
Talk them through the fantasy - 'oh it's lovely because in Summer the sun rises here and comes over heree just as you are opening your cold white wine in the evening'

'This area is brilliant for barbecues'

'the children love being able to see the cows / meet in the bus shelter and sniff glue'

'everyone watches out for each other - it's so safe'

And if all else fails:

'this spot is terribly sacred to us because - sniff - our guinea pigs are buried her - sob'.

Well, perhaps not, use your jjudgement.

Blu Thu 10-Mar-05 15:47:03

I used to hurl everything, all DS's toys, highchair, buggy etc etc into the car before every viewing to get it out of the way.

Beetroot Thu 10-Mar-05 15:47:32

Message withdrawn

Beetroot Thu 10-Mar-05 15:47:50

Message withdrawn

jampots Thu 10-Mar-05 15:50:38

make yourself look successful (im sure you already do) and happy and they will picture themselves the same as you. Obviously not too sexy though as it may have the effect of not wanting their dh's anywhere close to where you have been

jampots Thu 10-Mar-05 15:51:45

and can you post a link please?

Marina Thu 10-Mar-05 16:01:18

Car, brilliant! Blu, have you done this before? Thinking raking up the recent cavy massacre is a little heartless though

NotTelling Thu 10-Mar-05 16:32:37

If you want a nice, homely smell without having to bother with baking, just sprinkle some cinnamon onto a baking sheet and put it in the oven. It smells like home baking, but you don't have to go to any effort. If you don't like cinnamon, use nutmeg.

Cod Thu 10-Mar-05 16:35:04

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now