Talk

Advanced search

would you use beach sand in the kids sand pit?

(16 Posts)
elliott Thu 10-Mar-05 09:16:47

well?

misdee Thu 10-Mar-05 09:19:15

didnt think you were allowed to removed sand/pebbles/shells from beaches these days.

Miaou Thu 10-Mar-05 09:21:03

I suspect I might be in a minority here - but yes, I certainly would (and did, in my old place). Certain caveats - sieve it carefully first, and if they are inveterate sandeaters then maybe think twice about it. However, I am very anti antibacterial/overcleanliness regimes anyway, so like I said, maybe I am not typical. As far as I'm concerned the only point in buying sand is if you live too far from a beach to collect some!

SPARKLER1 Thu 10-Mar-05 09:21:07

No we always buy the bagged up sandpit stuff. How on earth would you transport sand from the beach back home? I think I would feel embarrassed filling a container up and putting it in the car. I'd have to go down at nightime so no one would be around to see me!

Miaou Thu 10-Mar-05 09:22:53

Ah, that hadn't occured to me, misdee - we live in a remote part of Scotland, so it's not like nicking it off the beach at Brighton! Good point.

elliott Thu 10-Mar-05 09:37:42

Ok I should add that the deed is done - dh brought home a load (from a fairly unpopulated beach, I'm sure he would have been the only one there!) yesterday. I thought it was a weird idea and had told him not to do it(!) but now its here I'm wondering whether we should use it.

Miaou Thu 10-Mar-05 09:38:41

What are your reasons for being unsure, elliot?

elliott Thu 10-Mar-05 09:43:41

Well mostly worries about dog poo I think - though as I said its from a fairly out of the way place. and of course I woudl let him play with it on the beach, so fairly illogical.
Maybe i'm just annoyed with dh for being a cheapskate

Miaou Thu 10-Mar-05 09:46:56

Well, maybe I'm not the best person to advise, but I would say that as long as you have checked it over for visual anomalies (for which read dog poo!), then I would go for it. Keep it covered when not in use, though, so that cats/birds don't go in it.

Snugs Thu 10-Mar-05 09:50:37

Might as well use it now you have it elliot.

But please don't take any more! I live on the east coast and I know what damage coastal erosion can do - even if it isn't visible at the beach you take the sand from, the damage may be further down the coast.

WigWamBam Thu 10-Mar-05 09:51:07

Well, I'm a haridan and would make him take it back - sorry! As misdee says, you're not allowed to remove sand from beaches these days because of the ecological impact, and I would prefer to abide by that. I buy huge bags of silver sand from builders merchants, it's much more cheap than the stuff you get from toy shops and it's the same stuff.

Carla Thu 10-Mar-05 10:04:37

WWB, are you sure it's the same stuff? I seem to remember reading something akin to a government health warning about builder's sand somewhere, but that could just be the toy shop wanting you to buy theirs.

I wouldn't use beach sand, unless I'd sieved it and boiled it first, which would probably defeat the oject of saving money.

WigWamBam Thu 10-Mar-05 10:06:25

I wouldn't use ordinary builder's sand, but silver sand is OK for sandpits, it's fine, clean, soft stuff.

WigWamBam Thu 10-Mar-05 10:07:29

(Paranoid now in case I'm wrong!)

Carla Thu 10-Mar-05 10:11:20

And I have just written total gobsh*te.

Why would I happily let my dds play on the beach but not use the same sand in their sandpit?

I need to get out more .......

WigWamBam Thu 10-Mar-05 10:13:04

They recommend silver sand here for sandpits.

<Phew! Wipes sweat of panic from brow>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: