Talk

Advanced search

Did you know it's legal to pierce 4 month old babys ears, I just wondered what are the bennefits ?

(43 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Mon 27-Oct-08 21:21:35

Someone pointed out on a smoking thread that we were probubly due an ear piercing thread too, so I thought I'd do one.
I've heard that some places will pierce the ears of 4 month old babys. I also see a lot of babys around with it done.
I just wondered what the reasons are for getting them done so early ? This is just a curiosity thread, I've always wondered why people get it done so early but could never ask in RL.

georgimama Mon 27-Oct-08 21:22:52

There is no benefit, other than labelling your child as a chav at the outset. It is hideous.

ready4anotherCoffee Mon 27-Oct-08 21:23:46

<passes the popcorn>

RedLollyYellowLolly Mon 27-Oct-08 21:24:22

I suppose they won't wriggle about so much as a toddler would.

But sorry, another vote for "it's just vile" here.

theSuburbanDryad Mon 27-Oct-08 21:24:38

Someone will come along shortly and say "cultural reasons".

Do a search for "baby" + "ear piercing" on here and you'll find all sorts of treats.

2point4kids Mon 27-Oct-08 21:26:56

I guess its because the child wont remember it when they are older and because they are too small to fiddle with the earrings, which means it will heal well and quickly.
I had my ears pierced at about 6 months. I'm not bothered by it and am quite glad that I didnt have to pluck up the courage to go through the whole thing myself at 13 like some of my friends.
Was a different attitude about it all those days though and I wouldnt get my childrens ears pierced at all unless the were old enough to decide themselves even though I'm happy with my own being done so young.

mummyloveslucy Mon 27-Oct-08 21:28:00

I think it's awful too to be honest, but all the threds theres been about the issue no one says "I've had it done and this is the reason".

hunkermunker Mon 27-Oct-08 21:29:59

I'm not a fan.

You wouldn't pierce a baby's belly button, eyebrow or nose, so why the earlobes?

crankycrane Mon 27-Oct-08 21:35:09

I am an ear piercer

Our salon policy is not to pierce under the age of 3

piercing babies ears is is cruel plus also the lobes are not developed

lilymolly Mon 27-Oct-08 21:35:25

Yes its all for cultural reasons hmm angry

Cultural my arse

Its vile stupid and incredibly chavish

lilymolly Mon 27-Oct-08 21:36:06

should be at least 13 or 18 imvho

mummyloveslucy Mon 27-Oct-08 21:36:30

I thought cultural reasons would be one. I didn't think about quicker healing time though.
I found it hard enough taking my daughter for her vaccinations, which could end up saving her life so I'm curious to know why Mums would do somthing that will hurt their baby just to have earings. I thought, there must be more to it.

MrsMattie Mon 27-Oct-08 21:36:41

I pointed it out (that we were due an ear piercing thread). I was joking.

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Mon 27-Oct-08 21:37:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Mon 27-Oct-08 21:37:41

'BENEFITS?' shock

<takes handful of popcorn>

onager Mon 27-Oct-08 21:38:24

It's easiest to cut holes in people when they are too small to fight back.

mummyloveslucy Mon 27-Oct-08 21:40:42

It's intersesting that an ear piercer thinks it's cruel to pierce babys ears. I'm very supprised that some places are alowed to do it at 4 months.
To me, theres nothing more perfect than a new baby or young child. They don't need decoration.

crankycrane Mon 27-Oct-08 21:45:53

when I applied for my ear peircing registration...
health & safety came to visit our salon and told me of the laws(there was no age restriction)
but anyone under the age of 16 needs parents consent

mummyloveslucy Mon 27-Oct-08 21:48:56

Oh, hello MrsMattie. I thought you probubly were, but it made me think that all the threads about it have been people strongly opposing and people that say mind your own buisness. I've never heard anyone say why they do it.
I thought if I started a more friendly thred, someone might let me know.

RubyRioja Mon 27-Oct-08 21:51:36

Here you go
www.babypiercing.com/PICTUREALBUM.html
My work here is done

DecayingDisaster Mon 27-Oct-08 21:56:21

cos it's pretty.

mummyloveslucy Mon 27-Oct-08 22:01:01

No age restriction ? shock shock That is terrable.

I was in KFC with my husband and daughter when I overheard some young women talking about getting her babys ears pierced. She said it's soo anoying, no one will do it as she's too young. The other woman said Oh Clairs will do it, she seemed happy and said I wonder if they'll do it today?
This baby was gorgeous BTW, a peachy little face and lovely smile. Why couldn't her Mum see her as perfect?
I wish I could've asked them why they wanted it done.

crankycrane Mon 27-Oct-08 22:03:03

Honestly you could have a child ears peirced at 1 week old...no age restriction whatsoever

RubyRioja Mon 27-Oct-08 22:03:41

Then why stop at ears
{{http://www.freshtrends.com/masassets/MySpace/piercedbaby.jpg]]

RubyRioja Mon 27-Oct-08 22:04:00

damn
www.freshtrends.com/mas_assets/MySpace/pierced_baby.jpg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now