Talk

Advanced search

working from home

(4 Posts)
mummytojames Tue 08-Mar-05 20:11:14

im hopeing to do some courses in buisnesss and such while ds is at home but main aim is to get a work from home job what kind of jobs could i logicaly studie for to be a work at home mum
tia

wordsmith Tue 08-Mar-05 20:14:20

There are a lot of things you can do from home - do you have any interests specifically? I do PR/copywriting from home, but you can also do secretarial work, book-keeping, editing, proofreading, translating... Ummmm, anyone else?

mummytojames Tue 08-Mar-05 20:34:17

i'd love anything like that but its needing to know what qualafication they require because im going to need to go back to college i like the sound of copy writing mainly what qualafication do you need for it and where would you find out about work going

wordsmith Tue 08-Mar-05 20:57:41

Hi MTJ - with copywriting it's not so much the qualifications you need as the experience and contacts. TBH I've been doing it for so long I don't know how I'd advise anyone to get into it. If it's something you want to do from scratch, how about bookekeeping/secretarial work - or even website design and construction? One of the best ways to look at it is - what services do small local businesses need for which they probably wouldn't want/be able to pay a big contractor? Also do you want to do something which is office-type work (ie you just need a computer) or something that may require a bit more investment? Do you want something you could do in the evenings (ie no childcare costs) or something for which you'd need to be available to clients in office hours?

Re qualifications I know there are lots of courses you can do part-time or even online with Learndirect : I'm signing up for a Powerpoint Course this week which will only cost me about £20 online.

One warning: working from home is fatal for your concentration. You need to be really disciplined. Mumsnet is a HUGE distraction (I am supposed to be working now, but have spent about an hour on here and another 20 mins doing my online shopping!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now