Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can i take piano lessons but practice on a portable keyboard?

(14 Posts)
hothell Thu 23-Oct-08 21:11:15

lidl is selling yamaha keyboards in a few weeks....

RubberDuck Thu 23-Oct-08 21:15:36

Sorry

The keys on a keyboard are just not weighted like those on a piano - playing is so much more than getting the right notes.

You can get more expensive piano-realistic keyboards, but these are £1000s and not likely to be what Lidl have in stock!!

soultaken Fri 24-Oct-08 00:12:28

yes, if your just beginning piano lessons then by all means just by yourself a keyboard to practice on for a year or two.

I'm sure most people don't sign up for piano lessons then go out and spend 10 grand on a piano.

I bought my keyboard from ToysRus blush - I was too embarrased to tell my piano teacher.

hothell Fri 24-Oct-08 11:36:50

great, hadnt' thought of toyrus!

hanaflower Fri 24-Oct-08 11:40:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flowerybeanbag Fri 24-Oct-08 11:42:53

I'd always advise getting a piano if at all possible, or finding one you can practice on somewhere. You don't need to spend 10 grand, you can get a cheap one second hand for a couple of hundred.

If your budget is even tighter than that, then I guess a keyboard wouldn't hurt for a little while, as long as it's full sized keys.

What does your teacher say?

hanaflower Fri 24-Oct-08 11:46:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chocolateteapot Fri 24-Oct-08 11:48:10

Our piano cost me a £25 donation to a new church hall fund and came delivered by tractor. Well worth looking around locally for one someone needs to get rid of.

FAQ Fri 24-Oct-08 11:50:09

if you get a keyboard you'll have to make sure it's one with "weighted" keys - otherwise your practice will amount to nothing.

if you were anywhere near me I'd let you have my (old upright) for £50 grin

beansmum Fri 24-Oct-08 11:55:00

You could probably get a decent electronic piano, full size with weighted keys, on ebay or somewhere like that. It wouldn't have to be ridiculously expensive. If you are anywhere near Edinburgh you can have mine (yamaha p-200) I'm moving soon and want to get rid of it!

flowerybeanbag Fri 24-Oct-08 11:57:47

Just had a peek on ebay, there are plenty of cheap pianos.

bossykate Fri 24-Oct-08 12:24:08

i have a yamaha dgx 620 digital piano. it has a graded hammer action (the "weighted" keys mentioned) and also comes with a sustain pedal. i bought mine new on-line from chappell of bond st (google) but you can get them on ebay for around £250. the yamaha dgx 620 is an excellent choice for a beginner imho. experienced musicians will, ime, usually recommend a piano, however, don't forget that if you get a cheap second hand one, you are usually looking at not insignificant tuning and reconditioning costs before it will sound anything like as good as a quality keyboard!

so get the exact spec of the yamaha keyboards lidl are selling, post it on here and let's have a look at the details.

hth and good luck.

hothell Thu 30-Oct-08 16:10:16

here are the details of the yamaha from lidl, if anyone is still around and has an opinion about it
www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20081030.p.Yamaha_Portable_Digital_Keyboard.ar2

cat64 Thu 30-Oct-08 16:28:38

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now