Talk

Advanced search

Help me choose a new perfume - please?

(33 Posts)
Surfermum Tue 08-Mar-05 18:32:08

My bottle of Opium is coming to an end and I've decided it's a bit 80's power dressing (you should have seen my shoulder pads!), and maybe I should wear something else. I also wear Champs Elysses.

The flowery ones like Anais Anais don't suit me. Someone at work wears Happy and it's lovely on her - but not on me. I keep trying testers but can't find anything that I like.

What do others wear? Is there anyone else who suits the "oriental" type perfumes? Help! I have some birthday money to spend and can't spend it!!

desperatehousewife Tue 08-Mar-05 18:34:11

I've just tried Marc Jacobs which is lovely.
Chanel Allure is a 'big' smell.
burbury for women is nice (bit chav!)
Jo Malone does some really lovely unusual smells.
chanel 5 - will always be a classic.

jampots Tue 08-Mar-05 18:34:31

i used to wear Opium too but now wear Chanel Chance or Prada for going out. Also have (and wear) Happy, Chanel Mademoiselle and Coco. Adore Gucci Rush 2 and Paco Rabanne Liquid Metal.

Did you also wear Paris by YSL? I used to love that in the 80's

Tinker Tue 08-Mar-05 18:36:06

I like heavy perfumes and used to wear Opium in teh 80's as well. Now like Attraction by Lancome, Poeme by Lancome, Champagne - YSL (but think this was rebranded with diff name, still gold box), Dolce Vita - Christian Dior and Coco by Chanel. Discovered one in France called Lolita Lempicka - well that's the 'house', doesn't seem to have a name. And have just dicovered one by L'Occitane (?) beginning with N - will have to check.

nutcracker Tue 08-Mar-05 18:37:20

Oh was gonna suggest Happy, it is lovely.

Surfermum Tue 08-Mar-05 18:38:30

I used to pinch squirts of my flatmate's Paris and I also wore Poison! More recently I've worn Vanilla Fields for daytime. Lots of suggestions for me to try here - thanks! Keep 'em coming.

Cod Tue 08-Mar-05 18:39:34

Message withdrawn

lilibet Tue 08-Mar-05 18:39:45

Another vote for chanel Chance, dd bought me Ghost Deep Night for Christmas and I really like that. Flower by Kenzo is really nice, nothing like Anais Anais.

Do you not have a prefumery nearby that sells those little bottles? They are usually about £3 - £5 each and give you a better idea than a tester.

Janh Tue 08-Mar-05 18:40:36

Chanel 5 is gorgeous. I also like Joop and Samsara (got that after someone wore it near me in a shop and I liked it so much I asked her what it was!)

They are not heavy but not flowery either.

<< Joop: Created in 1987. This feminine scent possesses a blend of oriental florals that are fresh and exhilarating.
Occasion Perfect Anytime
Scent Woody Oriental (rich)>>

<<Launched in 1989, Samsara is a refined, oriental, woody fragrance that explores essences of bergamot, peach and lemon blended with notes of jasmine, ylang-ylang and vanilla.>> There you go!

treacletart Tue 08-Mar-05 18:50:02

Agent Provocateur - mmmmm - quite old fashioned, almost like cold-cream used to smell, but v. sexy. Or what about Mitsouko for a classic classy oriental? Both have lovely "boudoiresque" bottles too

prunegirl Tue 08-Mar-05 18:50:48

Message withdrawn

Mosschops30 Tue 08-Mar-05 18:52:11

Message withdrawn

bibiboo Tue 08-Mar-05 18:58:47

What about JPGaultier - I think their fragrance in a woman-shaped bottle is lovely! Know the one?
I was also going to suggest Happy as my midwife told me I smelt very "zingy" when I had that on.
I used to wear Dolce Vita (someone else suggested?) but it is VERY sweet smelling. Lovely though. Made me feel feminine.
Hope you find one to suit you

littlemissbossy Tue 08-Mar-05 19:05:10

Allure and Chance, both by Chanel are lovely
For Christmas, someone bought me Cinema by YSL, at first whiff I thought it was a bit strong TBH, but it's actually very nice after it's had time to settle IYKWIM

purpleturtle Tue 08-Mar-05 19:11:10

Paloma Picasso - have worn it since I was 16, (now 31) and I don't think I'm ever going to tire of it. Had her Tentation (sp?) for a bit as well.

charleypops Tue 08-Mar-05 19:11:45

Angel - Thierry Mugler is lovely (if you only put a little bit on otherwise it's 'orrible) in the "duskier" perfumes - I like it because it's got chocolate in it!

The most "come hither" boudoir scent I think is Coco by Chanel - it's just rude!

Joy by Jean Patou is really nice, if you want something sweeter yet still a bit musky. Made from pure essence of rose petals. Twas Paula Yates' fav I seem to remember

My favourite scent, which you can't have enough of is DKNY by Donna Karen - makes me feel as if I'm in a bubble bath. Light and refreshing, yum.

That Clinique one in the red bottle's nice but you need to keep topping it up.

FrenchGirl Tue 08-Mar-05 19:13:06

I absolutely adore these Diptyque scents.
I just got Oyedo for Mother's Day. All the perfumes there are so distinctive and the best I've ever had.

champs Tue 08-Mar-05 19:38:43

I love
gucci rush2
clinique happy---- but you dont like on
dkny long tall bottle.

there's a company that allows you to make your own perfume by using different scemts, cant remember name maybe someone has heard of it.

Bearess Tue 08-Mar-05 19:41:16

I use jade blossom by stila, only had it three mths and nearly out already, I love it

merrygoround Tue 08-Mar-05 19:57:40

Love Dolce and Gabbana (bottle has a red top, been around a while) - quite "heavy" but yummy (a good friend fell in love with it and made it her signature scent - so weird to smell it on someone else!). I like Chloe for an every day scent; Laura Biagiotti (sp?) Roma is unusual, but a top fave, and Issy Miyake (in the tall conical bottle) is very refreshing and uplifting. I suppose it's a case of having to kiss a lot of frogs before you get a prince, IYSWIM.

bunny3 Tue 08-Mar-05 21:05:29

Aromatics by Clinique is the best and nicest smell ever. I love it.

charleepeters Tue 08-Mar-05 21:08:17

i wear beyond paradise by estee lauder its so georgeous!! and little black dress by avon (not posh but smells hevanly!) my dh is a sucker for both

Gobbledigook Tue 08-Mar-05 21:08:26

I love Cheap and Chic by Moschino and wear it most days.

Also have Glamorous by Ralph Lauren - love it.

Oldie favs are Obsession, Paris, Cerrutti 1881 and Jean Paul Gaultier - all because they remind me of certain times.

turnupthebass Tue 08-Mar-05 21:22:42

Issey Miyake, Cool Water, Armani, and my current favourite is Chanel Chance - hadn't smelled it before Christmas and it is wonderful.

unicorn Tue 08-Mar-05 21:26:36

Agree on Jo Malone.. Amber and Lavender is really nice.

I got the Roses one for mothers day from dd and ds (and dh!) which is nice but think I prefer the first one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: