Talk

Advanced search

I am very soon to be the shortest person in the house <wails>

(20 Posts)
MadreInglese Thu 23-Oct-08 16:59:57

DD is growing far too fast for a ten year old!

How can I slow her down? I think we're feeding her too much. Perhaps her bed is too long.

<straps on platform boots in denial>

i've been in that situation for a while now and it's very irritating when they pat you on the head and call you 'little mummy' angry

elliott Thu 23-Oct-08 17:19:29

With two sons, this will be my eventual destiny too!
And I was the shortest in the family I grew up in too - never made it to be as tall as my mum!

RustyBear Thu 23-Oct-08 17:25:13

I was the shortest in my family I grew up in, the shortest at secondary school until I was fifteen & am now the shortest in my current family.

I am so used to looking up at people that I tend to feel vaguely uneasy talking to adults who are shorter than me...

stealthsquiggle Thu 23-Oct-08 17:27:10

I overtook my DM at 9.5-10.

I was 10 when DB2 was born.

<<ponders connection>>

Note this is not a permanent solution - DB was 9 when he overtook DM, and yes we did all pat her on the head grin

AMumInScotland Thu 23-Oct-08 17:31:38

It's scary, isn't it? My DS now tops me by a good inch and a half - he wouldn't try patting me on the head though grin

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Thu 23-Oct-08 17:46:07

5ft 7 - so I'm not used to being the short one grin

trefusis Thu 23-Oct-08 17:57:55

Message withdrawn

fridayschild Thu 23-Oct-08 18:13:20

Oh this will be my fate. I am 5'2", and was the smallest in my family (even counting all the 21 cousins as well). DH is 6'4", DS1 is the tallest in his class and the growth charts suggest he will overtake me at age 10. DS2 is not quite as tall, but taller than average, and on course to be 5'10". Luckily Ds1 is only 5, I have a few years yet!

elliott Thu 23-Oct-08 22:34:46

I'm about 5ft 5, so not a complete titch!

muggglewump Thu 23-Oct-08 22:40:30

My 7yr old DD's feet are only 2 sizes smaller than mine. That feels weird!

MadreInglese Fri 24-Oct-08 09:38:10

LOL stealthsquiggle, bit of a drastic solution!

I'm about 5.6 so not teeny

MadreInglese Fri 24-Oct-08 09:39:27

She is only one shoe size smaller than me too, so I'll be fitting a lock to the shoe cupboard I think!

FimboGotAxed Fri 24-Oct-08 09:39:37

I am 5.8, dh is 6.2 both my dc will top me eventually.

My 10 year old has size 4 feet

stealthsquiggle Fri 24-Oct-08 16:15:19

MadreInglese - when she hits the same shoe size as you is the time to be suddenly unaccountably generous in the shoes you buy her - after all, she will grow out of them again in a few months.

I swear my mother is still wearing trainers and boots which DBs and I were bought when we were 'passing through' her shoe size grin

muggglewump Fri 24-Oct-08 16:20:58

Ha Stealthsquiggle, I've already thought of that.
The problem I have is that she will be 8-9 and I'll be 31-32.
I'm thinking that being generous will still not get me nice shoes to borrow, unless it's acceptable to buy her heels.

I do borrow her rollerblades though, she's threatened to charge me 20p a go!

stealthsquiggle Fri 24-Oct-08 17:24:12

mugglewump I think some lateral thinking is required - unless you wear heels all the time, then surely DD will need (for example) a couple of nice pairs of trainers, some flat boots (friend's much younger DD has some Jones the Bootmaker ones I would die for)...and I am sure you can think of some other vaguely appropriate ones.

Then of course you have to buy her one pair of child-like school shoes which she will wear 99% of the time thus leaving her not much time to trash the rest of your her shoes.

muggglewump Fri 24-Oct-08 18:32:36

Ooh, you're good but I fear that would be immoral and mean.
I will act upon think about your advice.
Just wondering would it be bad if I were to buy lovely shoes for her and then insist she wear school shoes at all times whilst I wear her shoes keep her other shoes for best?

bigmouthstrikesagain Fri 24-Oct-08 18:48:21

I know my dc will be taller than me once they hit their teens both right at the top of the scale and new dd2 is probably going to be the same. However as I am currently the tallest at 5'8" while dh is 5'5' I won't be the first to be ovetaken evil grin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now