Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

We are going to lose the house

(18 Posts)
sweetkitty Tue 08-Mar-05 12:42:04

our new house that is.

Quick recap on our story if you are interested, we are relocating from London back to our native Scotland, we accepted an offer on our flat 5 weeks ago the buyer is a 1st time buyer and wanted to move in 5-6 weeks. We thought ok as we arranged temp accommodation in Scotland is we needed it. We went up to Scotland 2 weeks ago and found a great house, the sellers are moving to a brand new house so wanted to move asap, we did our survey and put the offer in it was accepted with a date of 15th April.

Now it's all gets complicated, our buyer hasn't even booked his survey yet despite telling us he was desperate to move in, I have been phoning the estate agents every couple of days chasing it but all they can tell me is he still hasn't booked his survey. The flat is still on the market and we have had a few viewings but nothing has come of it.

I think we are going to lose the house in Scotland now as we won't be able to complete by their deadline.

DP is also mega stressed this week as he has 3 job interviews in Scotland as well. If he gets a job up there the plan is we all move regardless of whether the flat is sold but I don't really want to stay in my Dad's 1 bed flat for too long (even though it's so good of him to offer).

I know we are going to lose this house now and I'm so down today, thanks for listening to my rant.

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 12:44:49

SK - If you speak to their solicitor I'm sure they'd rather wait a couple of weeks to finalise the deal.....than having to go through the palaver of putting the house back in the market. Don't panic..... just yet!

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 12:45:36

Is it the deposit you will be short of without the sale of your flat?

sweetkitty Tue 08-Mar-05 12:47:38

TA - I have thought of this waiting another 2 weeks seeing if our buyer pulls his finger out then phoning our solicitor to contact their solicitor to explain the situation. I hate all this waiting and not knowing it's driving me mad. I think the whole world is conspiring against us not to move back to Scotland, the house is in Motherwell btw.

sweetkitty Tue 08-Mar-05 12:48:38

yes we need the sale of this place for the deposit on the new one and we are consolidating all our debts into the new mortgage as well.

I have thought about bridging loan but I'm too scared.

Sponge Tue 08-Mar-05 12:48:50

Toothache is right.
First, put the frighteners on your buyer if you can. Perhaps tell him you're considering accepting another offer if he doesn't arrange his survey by say Friday (a little white lie but who cares).
Also negotiate with your sellers. If you've started the process it will be quicker in the long run for them to wait for you than to start again, even if it pisses them off a bit.

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 12:50:00

SK - Did you have any other buyers put in an offer on your flat? Could you just say 'tough sh*t' to the guy who is draggin his heels and sell to someone else?

I don't know Motherwell, but it's not too far from me!!

sweetkitty Tue 08-Mar-05 12:51:19

TA - oh how I wish I could tell him to shove his offer no we have had no more offers mores the pity

Motherwell seems ok more house for your money than the Glasgow and Edinburgh suburbs and it's on the GNER mainline.

Sponge Tue 08-Mar-05 12:52:33

Good luck SK. Unfortunately house buying/selling rarely goes smoothly and to plan but it does often work out in the end.
If the worst comes to the worst you will find another place you want to buy but I know you want to try to this situation if you can. You need to be on top of your solicitor, their solicitor and your selling agent every daya dn just keep bullying. The trouble is they are dealing with loads of sales and yours in only the priority for you so you need to keep yourself top of mind as otherwise things do get left.
Fingers crossed for you.

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 12:53:02

Is it not on the Virgin mainline? We go through Motherwell on the Virgin train to Liverpool.

Sponge is right.... speak to your solicitor about putting the frightners into the lazy sod!

sweetkitty Tue 08-Mar-05 12:53:25

Thanks Sponge I think our estate agent has already put the frighteners on him a bit he knows the flats still on the market and people are coming to see it and if they make an offer he will lose out. I think he is having problems with his finances.

sweetkitty Tue 08-Mar-05 12:54:52

maybe it's on the Virgin line as well I know we've always stopped off there from Glasgow to Kings Cross.

I'll be so sad if we lose this house it's a 3 bed detached with a large garden completely different to the 2 bed shoebox flat we are in just now.

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 12:56:33

SK - There are just tons of houses on the market at the moment. I'm looking but can't find a 3 bedroomed house I can afford!! It's driving me mental. But if the worse came to the worse... I'm sure you'll get somewhere else just as nice.

Why Motherwell? Where will you and DH be working?

otto Tue 08-Mar-05 12:58:06

Is the buyer definitely going to get a survey carried out on your place? Lots of people don't actually bother, so I wouldn't let this put you off. More importantly, do you know if the buyer has the more importantly, does the buyer have a mortgage?

kazza3 Tue 08-Mar-05 13:00:29

We are going through the same thing. Your estate agent should be chasing the buyer for your London home. They normally give 3 weeks before they start chasing buyer for survey to be carried out. It sounds as though your buyer cant raise a mortgage. You need to ask your estate agents to put your London home back on the market asap. Hope this helps!!!!!!

sweetkitty Tue 08-Mar-05 13:03:49

Motherwell because it was between Glasgow and Edinburgh and is relatively cheap and about an hours drive from friends and family in Ayrshire. DP will either be working in Edinburgh or Glasgow (fingers crossed for his interviews this week). I know what you mean though toothache there was 3 houses we would have been happy to live in but chose this one for the garden size. I started looking in Livingston/Bathgate but found I could get more house towards Motherwell/Coatbridge.

I'm going to be a SAHM for a while once we move a long story and another thread I think.

Otto - think our buyer has his mortgage sorted but needs a survey I think this may only be a mortgage valuation you know where they drive past and say yes it's worth X amount, the flat is only 4 years old anyway.

Toothache Tue 08-Mar-05 13:17:17

Falkirk is the best place if you want somewhere between Glasgow and Edinburgh!! It sits on the Glasgow-Edinburgh express trainline. From Falkirk high station: Glasgow is 19mins away and Edinburgh is 23 mins. And the trains run every 15mins all day.

And house proces in Falkirk are good too.... average 3 bedroomed detached house would be anywhere from £120k to £150k.

So if it all falls through with that house... let me know.

I always thought Motherwell was just next to Glasgow. Shows you how good my Geography of my own country is!!

sweetkitty Tue 08-Mar-05 13:23:53

Thanks toothache have looked at Falkirk in the past. Motherwell is more towards Glasgow tbh about 20 mins drive from the Kingston Bridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now