Talk

Advanced search

Why am I craving meat so much?

(9 Posts)
Mung Tue 21-Oct-08 12:30:50

I have been vegetarian since I was 9. I have never missed eating meat at all and I have no intention of doing so. At the weekend DH had a burger and I really felt like I wanted to eat it, for the first time ever. I keep craving meat since. I have just bought a quorn 'beef style and ale pudding' to try and get over it.

Has this happened to anyone? Could I be lacking some vitamins that are making me crave meat like this?

IdrisTheDragon Tue 21-Oct-08 12:33:23

Could you be anaemic at all?

rempy Tue 21-Oct-08 12:33:59

Yes, you are probably iron deficient, or possibly short on protein in your diet.

Happened to a friend of mine, who gave in and ate HUGE quantities of chicken, her craving, for about a month. She felt much much better, then went back to being veggy. Obviously not an veggy for the ethical concerns!

Mung Tue 21-Oct-08 12:35:28

I was slightly after having DD, but I dont think I am right now. I have been feeling really lazy recently, just cannot be bothered and cannot muster any energy to do things. That may be linked, although I just put it down to pure laziness. I suppose I couldn't really tell unless I went to the doctor.

Mung Tue 21-Oct-08 12:39:57

So, I just need to think about my diet a little more and make sure I have enough iron and protein...

Bride1 Tue 21-Oct-08 12:42:57

This does sound like iron deficiency. When I have it, I find just getting out of the house is almost too much.

Mung Tue 21-Oct-08 12:46:50

bride1 do you take an iron supplement for it then?

Mung Tue 21-Oct-08 12:47:43

Beef and ale pudding was horrid by the way. I dont recommend them!

Bride1 Tue 21-Oct-08 13:33:09

Yes, I do. Tried Spatone but not convinced it boosted my levels. Now on something I picked up in Australia. It seems to help. I still get cravings for rare fillet steak, though! Which I indulge from time to time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now