Talk

Advanced search

I hit a dog with my car )-:

(24 Posts)
mosschops30 Thu 16-Oct-08 20:37:54

The couple were on opposite sides of the road, I presume she let it go or it ran off, it had no lead on and ran straight in front of me.

I braked really hard but still hit it. When I finally took my hands off my eyes the guy was holding the dog (it looked ok) and he didnt even look up as I pulled over. I asked him if the dog was ok and he just shrugged and said 'dunno we'll take her to the vets'.
Then I asked why it wasnt on the lead, he ignored me and sat with the dog.

I eventually drove off because I didnt know what else to do. I felt sick, what are you supposed to do when you hit a dog?

ScareyBitchFeast Thu 16-Oct-08 20:39:52

how sad sad
i hope it is ok

KerryMumchingOnEyeballs Thu 16-Oct-08 20:40:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlelapin Thu 16-Oct-08 20:40:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

forevercleaning Thu 16-Oct-08 20:41:11

Poor you. I should think he knew jolly well he should have had the dog under control on a lead. It certainly was not your fault.

The dog could have caused a fatal accident for not being on a lead.

Feel for you though. A horrid shock

Bewilderbeast Thu 16-Oct-08 20:41:41

you are supposed to stop so you did the right thing, this happened to me a while ago but the guy was very kind about it, i offered to drive him to the vets. It's a shocking thing to happen, i even forgot I had ds in the car until the dog owner reminded me. You did all you could, although you should probably have left them your details, they were probably in shock too so don't worry about their odd reaction. Have a glass of wine and try not to be too upset.

mosschops30 Thu 16-Oct-08 20:42:29

Yes it was standing and wagging tail, I didnt look for ages because I didnt want to see it, I definately hit it though sad.
They were just very odd with me, but maybe shocked i suppose.

ScareyBitchFeast Thu 16-Oct-08 20:43:28

well i presume they were shocked, which is why they were odd, shocked and upset,and concerned for their dog rather than you

mosschops30 Thu 16-Oct-08 20:45:51

scareybitch I wasnt expecting him to run over and embrace me, I just said he was probably shocked

ScareyBitchFeast Thu 16-Oct-08 20:47:34

i know, but when in shock you have only one thing on your mind

ScareyBitchFeast Thu 16-Oct-08 20:48:22

hve a glass of wine and be thankful the dog seemed ok,
and it wasnt a child

DraculaNeedsArteries Thu 16-Oct-08 20:53:27

You need to report this to the police. I am sure that you have to do this legally for adog or livestock (but not cats). Can't find it in highway code ATM though.

herbietea Thu 16-Oct-08 20:57:24

Message withdrawn

anniebear Fri 17-Oct-08 12:48:08

I think she should have apologised to you

lilymolly Fri 17-Oct-08 13:22:12

Oh for fucks sake

Why should the dog owner apologise?
Their dog has just been run over and their priority will be their dog.

My dog was off the lead on a very quiet rural road 3 years ago and was sitting at my side and I had hold of her around the neck when my neighbour slowed down and drove past me- the dog shot out in front of their pick up- she ended up coming out of the back as the car went right over her- she seemed fine for about 5 mins bright and wagging her tail, until we noticed that she was bleeding and had cut her leg down to the bone which was chipped. By the time we got her to the vets. shock had well and truly set in and she was flat out on her side in severe pain.

At the time of the accident I was hysterical and it never crossed my mind at the time to apologise to them.

Agree in hindsight it is as distressing for the driver too- but as the dogs owner they would have been so shocked that would not have gone through their minds- trust me.

My neighbour apologised prefusely and offered to pay for the vets bills but I won't have any of it and said It was our fault too as we had her off the lead.

Hope you are not stressed too much about this.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 18-Oct-08 00:06:09

My sympathies are with the driver every time, not the dog owner. Put the fucking thing on a lead, then it won't get run over. You can't predict that a nice quiet road will stay nice and quiet - a crowd of Hell's Angels could go past, or a tractor or a rabbit hop across the road, and Little Woofie is not going to stay docilely by your side.

My father swerved to avoid a dog once, but couldn't as it was dancing about in the road. He hit the dog, then a tree, wrote the car off and hit his head. The owner was more interested in checking his dog than calling police or an ambulance or doctor for my Dad.

I hit someone's dog once - it ran straight out in front of me and bounced off the bumper. Girl started screaming at me and had to be physically restrained by her father from launching herself at me. He apologised and told her it was her fault. I wish I'd reversed over it and written it off properly when she started having a go at me.

Dogs on street, on lead. End of.

goosylousie Sun 19-Oct-08 12:05:22

MrsSchadenfreude you are one F--ked up woman, get a life

TrinityLovesHerVampireRhino Sun 19-Oct-08 12:08:43

schaden

shock

really you need to sort that

PillowOfDOOM Sun 19-Oct-08 12:13:37

By MrsSchadenfreude on Sat 18-Oct-08 00:06:09

I wish I'd reversed over it and written it off properly when she started having a go at me.

OMG shockshockshock

Craggy Sun 19-Oct-08 12:16:45

Someone hit our dog with a car. The car driver was devastated when came to the house. I told him not to be silly and it was my fault for not keeping a frim eye on him. The dog was fine. He no longer runs away.

Niecie Sun 19-Oct-08 12:19:05

Same thing happened to me. It was the road out of my office and quite quiet as most people had already gone home. The owners were on one side of the road and the dog on the other. I didn't see it until a second before it walked out in front of me due to the layout of the road.

I stopped, offered to take the dog to the vet with the owners but they refused as they lived nearby. They were naturally concerned but were not blaming me, I didn't feel. I suppose they knew they shouldn't have been on different sides of the road with the dog off the lead.

I don't know what happened to it. I wasn't going very fast (about 15-20mph) so hopefully it wasn't too bad. It was conscious when I left but still lying in the road.

It is a horrible horrible feeling though - bothered me for days. Makes me shudder to think how much worse I would have felt if it had been a child.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 19-Oct-08 14:37:14

So dogs matter more than people?

I was shaking, post accident. It was girl's fault that her dog had run out. I didn't need to be physically assaulted by her. Her attitude made me very angry indeed.

And it's more important to check your dog than call for an ambulance for someone who has hit their head hard and is bleeding?

solidgoldskullonastick Sun 19-Oct-08 14:40:34

Running over a few more dogs would improve life round here no end.

ilovemydog Sun 19-Oct-08 14:56:07

I think the dog owner behaved recklessly.

He caused you to make an emergency stop. What if you had kids in the back?

Not sure there was much more you could have done...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now