Talk

Advanced search

sensitive question about baby loss

(9 Posts)
quickquestionthanks Thu 16-Oct-08 18:43:47

Is it possible for a baby to be born alive at 14ish weeks?

Thanks you.

Blandmum Thu 16-Oct-08 18:46:42

No, sadly that would be way too early for any form of intervation and support.

'viability' is set at 24 weeks, some babies do survive at 21-22 weeks, but need a great deal of care and support.

14 ish weeks is beyond our care.

Supportive hugs to whoever lost the baby

NoNickname Thu 16-Oct-08 18:51:24

Do you mean can they survuve if born at 14 weeks, or can they be alive at the time of birth, even if only for a very short time?

The answer to the former - as MB has said - is no, a baby cannot survive if born that early. But I'm not certain about wherher or not it could be alive at birth, even if only for a few seconds. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge can help on that count.

quickquestionthanks Thu 16-Oct-08 18:54:18

Thank you for the very kind reply MB.

I am aware that sadly a baby at this stage would not survive, was wondering if it was possible for them to be born alive though?

Have tried to learn more and google but the links coming up are not really relevant to my question.

Thanks again.

nolongeraworriedmummy Thu 16-Oct-08 19:27:06

yes it is possible for babies to be born alive at this stage, I cant remember how but there is a process they go through in development and if this has happened then they can be born alive but sadly they dont survive long

nolongeraworriedmummy Thu 16-Oct-08 19:33:10

Ive been trying to find the info for you, Im still looking, I remember someone in the papers not long ago whos baby was born at 16 weeks and was alive.

forevercleaning Thu 16-Oct-08 19:43:18

If it is you who had the baby at 14 weeks QQT - im very sorry sad

scaryfucker Thu 16-Oct-08 19:46:29

what do you class as "alive" is more to the point

a baby at this age has a beating heart and capable of making "breathing" movts

on a brain scan, there would be evidence of activity

however, they are far too immature to survive out of the womb

sympathies to whoever got this far in their pregnancy as 14 wks is generally thought to be past the period of greatest risk to the pregnancy sad

nolongeraworriedmummy Thu 16-Oct-08 19:47:20

Ive had another look and the process happens between 14 and 16 weeks so it really depends, I cant find any record of a baby at 14 wweeks being born breathing but theres several at 16 weeks.

Either way lots of love to you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now