Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Parents can be bitches too....god help all kids

(43 Posts)
happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 15:02:48

How long before I got blown out of the water for posting a thread like this one. I'd be flamed in minutes I bet

essbee Sun 06-Mar-05 15:03:49

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 15:05:02

I didn't say some in the title

misdee Sun 06-Mar-05 15:05:55

heh.

essbee Sun 06-Mar-05 15:07:48

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 15:09:30

Davros Sun 06-Mar-05 15:28:34

Ooh, you tinker HMB

happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 15:29:08

It is the wine......got to me and is driving me straight to hell, darling!

pixiefish Sun 06-Mar-05 15:31:48

Yorkiegirl Sun 06-Mar-05 15:32:30

Message withdrawn

hercules Sun 06-Mar-05 15:32:37

I think nearly all parents are bitches at some point!

hercules Sun 06-Mar-05 15:33:25

At school it is far easier to be professional and objective but at home......

roisin Sun 06-Mar-05 15:39:32

The title of this one made me chuckle!

Anyway I'm not supposed to be on here, I'm supposed to be finishing a job application ... writing the 'extra supporting info' page .
The job is Executive Secretary/PA to the Head and SMT of a local comp. What should I include to impress them girls?

sparklymieow Sun 06-Mar-05 15:40:17

I know exactly what you mean, the title is a bit harsh onthe other thread. But many SN's parent worry a lot about their child while they are at school, tho. I must be odd as I can't wait to get the kids there and dread picking them back up!!

Davros Sun 06-Mar-05 15:44:11

Likewise Mieow!!
Roisin, having done that sort of job for nearly 20 years I'd suggest saying that you're willing to cut boss's toenails (knew someone who did this, not me), collect mother's toilet adaptor (me), buy gifts for spouse, draft all letters, draft all reports, lie to anyone and everyone......

happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 16:26:52

I should, possibly explain why I posted this thread.

First is that I had two glasses of wine at lunch so if any of you are lookin' at me in a funny way we can go outside and have a scrap!

The real reason is that people are taking their example of what it was like when they were in school and extrapolating that to how schools are today. Now I can understand why people do that, it is normal to work from your own experience, but it doesn't make it right.

I came into teaching at a mature (cough!) age. I thought that I knew what it would be like to be a teacher. you would walk into a class, you would talk, they would listen....oh how wrong I was! Things have changed beyond recognition.

Comparing what happened when I was in school (in the 60s and 70s) to now isn't realistic. Any more than me sucking in my teeth when someone goes into hospital because my granfather died of TB in a hospital in the 30s.

None of which is to say that things are perfect now, they are not! But neither are they the same as when we were all in school

zebra Sun 06-Mar-05 17:38:46

I really want to ask around to see if some of the things my son's school is doing are signs of poor management, or if I'm being precious, but I can't start a thread on MN because people will just use it as a chance to slag off teachers... which isn't what I want. I want to know what, if anything, I can do to improve the situation. How to be constructive, not critical...

And don't suggest I become a governor, because I just can't commit the time! But I want to in the future.

happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 17:50:33

I have never had a problem with anyone having a pop at a specific teacher/school/mw/hv/doctor. If they are bad thei need to be discussed/debated/hauled up/whatever.

I was just a little upset at a thread which mirrored the title of this thread, where the worry wasn't based on current experience of the child or teachers but on things that happened in the past. It also tended to tar all teachers with the same brush, iyswim.

That is why I posted what I have

Yorkiegirl Sun 06-Mar-05 17:52:57

Message withdrawn

vict17 Sun 06-Mar-05 17:55:39

can you post a link to the thread hmb i can't find it

happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 17:55:49

If you are lookign for a chance to change things a bit is it possible for you to go to the annual parents/goveners meetings? That might be a chance to raise issues and is only a one night job?

You could also try to see people on parents evenings

Davros Sun 06-Mar-05 17:56:00

Totally agree hmb. I hated school (in the 70s) but think I had a bit to do with that myself!
Zebra, I'd like a discussion like you're suggesting too.

Davros Sun 06-Mar-05 17:56:32

vict, its in SN

happymerryberries Sun 06-Mar-05 17:56:47

It was today called 'teachers can be bitches...god help our sn kids' or something similar

vict17 Sun 06-Mar-05 18:01:50

thanks - just read it. I agree that the thread title is very inflammatory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now