Talk

Advanced search

A little girl at toddlers has a tube attached to her and I just wanted to ask if anyone knew what it could be

(12 Posts)
CrushWithEyeliner Wed 15-Oct-08 15:34:46

it is in her neck and she has to have a substance blown in by her Mum from a machine almost like a nebuliser. The reason I ask is that DD has severe asthma and has been nubulised many times I feel it would be totally in apt to ask her Mother hence this thread! I wondered if it could be a treatment for asthma and if anyone has come across this kind of treatment before. thanks smile

BlackPussyCat Wed 15-Oct-08 15:36:13

Um... could it be a tracheostomy?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 15-Oct-08 15:37:25

Is it in the front of her neck? A tracheostomy?

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 15-Oct-08 15:38:10

it looks like one yes, but would this be used to treat breathing difficulty?

mosschops30 Wed 15-Oct-08 15:38:34

If she has a tracheostomy it will be something else plus asthma I would imagine

misdee Wed 15-Oct-08 15:38:46

could be a trach.

i would ask the mum. would rather people asked about things than just guess. some peoploe thought peters artificial heart was a portable kidney dialysis machine.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 15-Oct-08 15:40:03

The machine may be sucking out (suctioning) not blowing in. Trachys can get blocked and as its her airway it needs to be kept clear.

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 15-Oct-08 15:41:33

thanks guys - I may strike up a convo with her, her baby is v young and it may be stressful for her...

CrushWithEyeliner Wed 15-Oct-08 15:41:33

thanks guys - I may strike up a convo with her, her baby is v young and it may be stressful for her...

shhhh Sat 18-Oct-08 17:44:38

imo if it was stressful for her she wouldn't be out iykwim...

DS was very ill from birth and had several op's. He was fitted with a stoma and I never ventured anywhere where I would be in a situation where I had to answer questions ie swimming or at weight checks at clinic.

I did discuss ds's illness openly BUT only when I wanted to and it was usually me who brought the subject up.

Like others have said, I also rathered people spoke to me and asked questions that to sit and stare.

So..when im saying is if she doesn't want to discuss it or have questions asked then imo she wouldn't put herself in that situation..I know sometimes it can't be helped and she may go out for her own sanity BUT me thinks she will be prepared for questions..smile.
HTH x

shhhh Sat 18-Oct-08 17:44:39

imo if it was stressful for her she wouldn't be out iykwim...

DS was very ill from birth and had several op's. He was fitted with a stoma and I never ventured anywhere where I would be in a situation where I had to answer questions ie swimming or at weight checks at clinic.

I did discuss ds's illness openly BUT only when I wanted to and it was usually me who brought the subject up.

Like others have said, I also rathered people spoke to me and asked questions that to sit and stare.

So..when im saying is if she doesn't want to discuss it or have questions asked then imo she wouldn't put herself in that situation..I know sometimes it can't be helped and she may go out for her own sanity BUT me thinks she will be prepared for questions..smile.
HTH x

denbury Sat 18-Oct-08 17:57:41

my ds2 was born with heart problems and had a tube down his nose for the first 8 months of his life, so we could give him his milk and drugs. people would often look at him and i prefered it when people asked what was wrong with him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now