Talk

Advanced search

Steam Genie - (for general cleaning) anyone know if these are any good?

(10 Posts)
ElectricBlue Sat 05-Mar-05 19:12:42

I've seen various things like this advertised on TV and they sell them in Woolworth's too (where they have a TV advert running on a loop). They appear to clean just about everything without chemicals and effort. Has anyone tried these out?

HunkerMunker Sat 05-Mar-05 19:32:21

No experience, but would like to know too!

paolosgirl Sat 05-Mar-05 19:34:46

I (stupidly!) bought one of these from one of the TV shopping channels . They are good for grout, but that's about it. The problem is that because it's steam, it turns to water - lots of it - and you have to go round cleaning up puddles. They don't clean things like ovens either - they're just not strong enough.

ButtonMoon Sat 05-Mar-05 23:35:24

Absolutely rubbish...I bought one for £20 from TESCO and ended up sending it back......think you can get ones that are more powerful but these are probably industrial rather than the domestic ones.

pixel Sun 06-Mar-05 02:09:04

We've got one. It DOES clean but nowhere near as easily as advertised. My dh got a revolting cooker looking like new but it took some time and also some scraping. He had to leave the steamer on one place for a while to loosen the grease. Also Paolosgirl is right about the water, you need a lot of cloths to mop up as you go. I believe the more expensive ones are better because the steam comes out under pressure whereas ours is just like a big kettle.

Having said all that, it did a great job of getting the limescale off my bathroom taps!

ElectricBlue Sun 06-Mar-05 10:42:41

I thought it was too good to be true! I also noticed there was a big price difference between the ones advertised on shopping channels (£50 - £60)and some of the others (£20)- now I know why.

I haven't given up on this yet! .... so, if you've got one .... how are they on grubby marks on soft furnishings and soft toys?

stripey Sun 06-Mar-05 11:08:27

I bought one about a month ago with my Boots points - haven't been brave enough to open it yet. I am hoping when I do it will work wonders!!

noma Sun 06-Mar-05 12:29:54

I brought one its good for cleaning tiles and getting some limescale off but you have to use it several times, but wont clean your oven i found the only thing it cleaned well was stains from the carpet but you have to use it when the kids are out of the way! Hot! Hot! Hot!

stitch Sun 06-Mar-05 12:44:25

we have a steam cleaner. and ithink its wonderful. its one of the more expensive ones. dont know what its called. but i think it cost about two hundred odd pounds. we use it mainly to clean the stains off the carpet. didnt work very well on the black stuff on the tiles, and wasnt much good on theoven. but definitly worth it for the carpet.

ElectricBlue Sun 06-Mar-05 20:00:04

Well it was quite a mixed review really, I still want to get one, especially for spring cleaning, but I won't expect it to do everything it says on the packet!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: