Talk

Advanced search

Have we ever had a proper debate on abortion?

(946 Posts)
littlelapin Mon 13-Oct-08 12:05:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Carmenere Mon 13-Oct-08 12:07:03

I support a woman's right to choose.

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Mon 13-Oct-08 12:07:07

Tommy Mon 13-Oct-08 12:07:22

I've never really had it either but coming from a Catholic background (as indeed do most of my friends) we sort of know what we all think about it anyway.

I honestly think that it is such a personal and emotive issue that there isn't really anything to be gained by arguing over the points - you are probably not going to change anyone's view

MrsMattie Mon 13-Oct-08 12:08:37

OK, I'll chip in my two pennies worth.

I think abortion is an absolute necessity - a human right for women, in fact - in a civilised society.

A return to 'backstreet' abortion is too awful to contemplate.

harleyd Mon 13-Oct-08 12:08:41

i also support a womans right to choose

WideWebWitch Mon 13-Oct-08 12:10:09

I think this is a completely appropriate subject for a parenting forum, of course it is!

I am pro choice. A return to back st abortion would be terrible.

ghosty Mon 13-Oct-08 12:10:20

All I know is I am Pro Choice and very very very grateful I have never been in a position to have to even consider a decision so hard. I know a few people who have had abortions and the only time I have felt in any way judgemental in a bad way was when someone I knew many years ago was using abortion as a way not to have children (IE, she had a total of 5 abortions over a few years rather than take proper precautions to avoid pregnancy) .. I never got that and found it very hard to deal with.
But again, HER choice sad

sfxmum Mon 13-Oct-08 12:10:52

right to choose is very important bad things happen when lots of caveats start popping up

even despising and being appalled by the idea that some people use abortion as a form of contraception I think it is better than having unwanted children
why bring them into the world for neglect and suffering?

littlelapin Mon 13-Oct-08 12:11:13

Niecie Mon 13-Oct-08 12:11:55

We have had debates about aspects of abortion haven't we like when the legal cut off should be but I don't think I have ever seen a debate on whether or not it should be allowed in the first place.

Fwiw, I support the right to chose.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 13-Oct-08 12:12:16

I support womens right to choose also. I also don't like that they let anti abortion groups into schools RE lessons <tiny feet? or some other organisation> and while I will not ban dd1 from that lesson, as I wouldn't want her to feel different to her friends I will prepare her with the correct facts on abortion before the lesson.

ghosty Mon 13-Oct-08 12:12:19

I don't think a woman should be forced to have a baby she doesn't want. I would not want to be the child of a woman who didn't want me.

BCNS Mon 13-Oct-08 12:13:36

I support the right to choose.

harleyd Mon 13-Oct-08 12:14:08

i honestly dont think too many people would use abortion as an easy form of contraception..i think its one of the hardest things in the world to go through with.
i think more people would choose the map rather than wait to see about an abortion? its not the cheapest form of contraception..or the easiest to get

ghosty Mon 13-Oct-08 12:14:12

That in answer to LL's "should a woman be allowed to choose under ANY circumstances? What about if an abortion is the result of a lazy attitude to contraception? Should it be harder to get one, do you think that would make a difference?"
Still a choice.

Niecie Mon 13-Oct-08 12:16:08

I think the woman has to have the right to chose in any circumstances or else she doesn't really have the right at all. I don't think a third party to decide you have to have a child because they decided you got pregnant through carelessness.

Where people's emotions are concerned it is not black and white.

sfxmum Mon 13-Oct-08 12:16:15

neglect with contraception can happen for many reason, sheer stupidity, serious mental illness etc bad but it will happen with people being who they are

who gets to decide? I come from a place where doctors decide but if you have enough money you get a safe abortion if not you either have a child or an unsafe abortion

often the woman ends up in hospital and is then treated to some public humiliation

MrsMattie Mon 13-Oct-08 12:16:27

'OK (am being a bit devil's advocate here) - should a woman be allowed to choose under ANY circumstances?'

YES.

Regardless of whether you or I agree, only that woman can make a decision about whether or not she is willing and able to bring a child into this world.

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Mon 13-Oct-08 12:18:13

Thomcat Mon 13-Oct-08 12:18:25

I am pro-choice but I do sometimes feel that more could be done to help mum really weigh up her options. I know women who have been given an abortion and no-one asked why, were they sure, had they considered other options carefully?
Probably another topic really but what I have a problem with is medical professionals almost badgering a woman, making her feel she would be mad not to, terminate a pregnancy when tests show the child will be born with Down's syndrome. And parent goes with that without really knowing what it would have really meant to have a child with DS. They just have this negative, scary vision of all the things it could mean, could be like. They say things like "I could never have a child with DS' without really knowing if they could or couldn't, so they terminate. That's when i find termination a hard thing to deal with. But in general yes I'm pro choice.

francagoestohollywood Mon 13-Oct-08 12:18:52

I'm pro choice.
Yes, I think a woman should choose in ANY circumstance. No, I don't think making it more difficult to have an abortion would make a difference.
Also, I'm not sure about the UK, but abortion rates are progressively decreasing in Italy, for instance.

harleyd Mon 13-Oct-08 12:19:57

is is possible to have an abortion on the nhs? i would have thought that was only possible for medical reasons?

nickytwoooohtimes Mon 13-Oct-08 12:20:39

I am a catholic but am pro-choice. It has made me think about leaving the church on many occassions. I still feel uncomfortable with the church's view on abortion, not to mention contraception.

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Mon 13-Oct-08 12:20:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now