Talk

Advanced search

How do you clean shiny black floor tiles?

(21 Posts)
enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 10:45:01

Message withdrawn

enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 10:55:58

Message withdrawn

Anna8888 Mon 13-Oct-08 10:56:42

You hoover. And then you wash them on your hands and knees with an e-cloth and dilute Ajax.

Anna8888 Mon 13-Oct-08 10:57:18

Hoover twice a day. Wash daily.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 13-Oct-08 10:57:29

Oh why oh why did you have to post that?

<seashells considers asking DH if he would mind paying for new kitchen floor to be retiled before they move>

enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 11:17:44

Message withdrawn

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Mon 13-Oct-08 11:19:52

I'd have thought a microfibre mop might work - just with water. If you get one that you can put other cloths over the pad, you could use a microfibre cloth for windows/mirrors on the mop to go over them once you've done the main clean.

enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 11:23:44

Message withdrawn

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Mon 13-Oct-08 11:24:31

Like this sort of thing - if you look on the top of the mop head, there are 4 white bits which are a bit like those teatowel holders you used to get, with a kind of plastic star thing in them, and you just push the cloth into them. (does that make sense?). Then you just buy a microfibre window/glass cleaning cloth, and once you've done the main clean, with the main bit, if it still needs more (and it might not if you wring the water out enough), you wrap the cloth over the other microfibre pad, and use it with that on it (sorry - this is really long windedblush).

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Mon 13-Oct-08 11:25:18

Ah - X-post. Maybe not thensad.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 13-Oct-08 11:26:53

Both of you. Hands and knees my arse, they can stay streaky if that is what it takes.

We are currently renting while doing up DH's house. The kichen and bathroom of DH's house have just been done black and white with shiny black floor tiles. My idea.

enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 11:28:07

Message withdrawn

enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 11:29:35

Message withdrawn

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Mon 13-Oct-08 11:35:55

I'd guess that if you use something like dilute ajax, you'll need to rinse it off with water afterwards, as that's probably what's making them look dull.

enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 11:42:16

Message withdrawn

enduringsurrey Mon 13-Oct-08 11:56:02

Message withdrawn

JackieNoHeadJustABloodyStump Mon 13-Oct-08 11:57:59

Yes, I guess your arse might work wink. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth, though. How about a nice rug?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 13-Oct-08 12:00:49

Just have streaky tiles. Thats what I intend on doing. Life is too short.

Or I could get dd1 to polsih them for me with this e cloth that you are referring to. dd1 likes to clean hmm grin

scarletlilybug Mon 13-Oct-08 12:06:23

I use a microfibre mop (similar to the lakeland one) and wash my floors with dettol floor cleaner. They look OK, imo.

A friend of mine swears by a roomba - it was about £50, I think. But can't speak from personal experience.

Mewie Thu 19-Mar-09 10:29:04

Can't believe there are so many threads about cleaning floor tiles...but great as we had out first attempt to clean our new black porcelain tiles and they now look awful!
Worst thing is that the black grout has all turned white
Any suggestions for that????

sunbabemel Fri 17-Jun-11 19:15:58

i have just had today, cream porcaline tiles put down,look ok at the moment, hope it stays that way, not even walked on them yet...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now