Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you remember hurtful comments from your past?

(142 Posts)
thedogmother Thu 03-Mar-05 21:20:17

I remember when I was about 14, a boy told me I "had no neck". Well, I don't have a swan-like neck, granted, but this comment has never left me.

I also remember being v. proud of a new perm that I'd had (about 15/16) and was going out to a local disco with my cousin. There was a boy who lived near her who I quite liked, he was really nice and friendly, and I remember asking him if he liked my hair, and he said "yeh, it's alright at the front but the back is a right mess". Never forgotten that either.

Or the time that a girl I worked with said "xxx's eyebrows are like coat-hangers". Never forgotten that bitch either.

I'm sure there are more hurtful comments from years past that I will never forget. How about any of you?

maisystar Thu 03-Mar-05 21:23:04

i can remember "maisystar's a wally, with a wally haircut"!!! when i was about 10, and a certain lad calling me rubber lips when i was about 11!

both gutting at the time but lol now

SeaShells Thu 03-Mar-05 21:24:32

I'll never forget my mam telling my sister she was beautiful, then telling me I was 'funny' looking!

And the time I was in a nightclub about 2 years ago and a guy said my 80's perm was s**t! (didn't even have a perm!)

prunegirl Thu 03-Mar-05 21:26:03

Message withdrawn

threadkillingstrawberry Thu 03-Mar-05 21:26:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thedogmother Thu 03-Mar-05 21:29:12

prunegirl

I think I must have been a bit of an ugly duckling with not much confidence. I certainly don't feel that way now, but don't think I will ever forget these things that people say without thinking about how it will affect you! (for many years after!)

Hopefully, like Maisystar we will be able to laugh at them!

I also remember one little b***d at junior school who hit me in the face with a packet of felt-tips. Can't remember his name, but believe me I would know him if I saw him.

thedogmother Thu 03-Mar-05 21:30:11

She's a cow, strawberry. Was then and prob still is now.

Socci Thu 03-Mar-05 21:30:29

Message withdrawn

WestCountryLass Thu 03-Mar-05 22:02:14

A boy at school used to sing to me 'Jo, Jo your nose is so big, Jo, Jo you look like a pig'. At the time it really crushed me and did not help my self esteem but when I became more confident I realised that I don't actually have a big nose and he was jsut being an arse

When I was about 14 and developing curves in all the right places, I was walking up a hill and my Dad was walking behind with my step mother and he said to her "she's going to be as fat as Auntie XYZ" My Aunt must weight 25 stone and is built like a rolypoly. That and obviously my predisposition to it, gave me the push I didn't need to have an eating disorder for the next 14 years of my life.

Yes, I remember

Socci Thu 03-Mar-05 22:23:50

Message withdrawn

joash Thu 03-Mar-05 22:25:02

Not being allowed my own clothes when I was younger - imiagine my shock at being bought my very own, very expensive pair of jeans. We had a non-uniform day at school and naturally, I went in my jeans. One horrible tosser, who hated me anyway made some comment about me wearing "ASDA jeans" and the nickname "ASDA PRICE" stuck. It's over 27 years ago (GOD I'M OLD) and I still hate the bloody ASDA add - HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT

irishbird Thu 03-Mar-05 22:27:22

sobernow Thu 03-Mar-05 22:34:08

alexsmum Thu 03-Mar-05 22:36:03

In amsterdam airport a couple of years ago, I was coming out of the lift and walking slowly as dh was walking in front with 18 month ds walking beside him and i was pushing a trolley full of luggage with precariously balanced carseat on top. A very impatient woman snapped at me , ' oh take your time why don't you' so i said in a very polite voice ' thank you, i will'. She then said ' its obvious you don't run anywhere'.

It was really nasty, and so unnecessary and it still bugs me now. What gave her the right to be so unpleasant to a complete stranger just going about their business?

Socci Thu 03-Mar-05 22:36:14

Message withdrawn

stupidgirl Thu 03-Mar-05 22:45:12

Oh, I never forget even the silliest, imagined slights.

jabberwocky Thu 03-Mar-05 22:46:13

Yes, yes yes!!! but i don't even want to type them because I may start to dwell on it.

joash Thu 03-Mar-05 22:50:26

The time my mother actually went into my new comprehensive school and told the headmaster off because I had been placed in the "A's" (top set - brainboxes) and she insisted that they had made a terrible mistake because my older sister had stared in the "C's" (next to bottom set) and managed to work her way up to the "B's".

Or when I passed my degree with a high 2.1 in Women's Studies and was told that it wasn't a real degree because little sis was doing a Biomedical degree (which she failed I may add).

HunkerMunker Thu 03-Mar-05 22:54:20

threadkillingstrawberry, I did wonder briefly why your were eating a penguin. Then I realised you meant a chocolate biscuit. You did mean a chocolate biscuit, right?

In answer to the thread, yes, I remember unpleasant things people have said to me, word for word, tone and all. It's a 'gift' I really wish I didn't have.

irishbird Thu 03-Mar-05 22:55:17

womba1 Thu 03-Mar-05 23:00:35

I've always been a tall lass, i'm now 6ft and when i was a child of 11, i needed a child photocard to enable me to pay a childs fare on the buses. Before getting one, bus conductors always charged me adult fare even though i was wearing a school uniform most of the time! I looked much older then my years but only because of my height. But people always used to say to me or my parents.."Ooh, aren't you/isn't she a big girl?!?!" My Dad always corrected them and used to say, she isn't big, she's a perfect height! It really used to get to me and i began to think i was overweight. I look back at photo's of myself during my teenage years and i was all lanky... not an ounce of fat on me, unyet i felt fat and hideous.. all because peoples probably innocent remarks played on my mind.
How times change... now i know i'm overweight and i really couldn't care less!!!

handlemecarefully Thu 03-Mar-05 23:05:01

No I don't remember hurtful comments that other people have made in the past. If anybody makes a snidey remark to me, I generally give a fairly good riposte and I have mastered the art of truly believing it reflects more upon the other person than on me. It must be horrible to recall every slight ever made against you. I really sympathise...

threadkillingstrawberry Thu 03-Mar-05 23:09:52

Branster Thu 03-Mar-05 23:13:54

not really a hutful comment as such but i still rememebr it and i remember how very hurt i felt at the time.
i have the most wonderful mum in the world and i really look up to her and she is one of my role models. and i love her dearly and admire her lot.
when i was a little girl i used to be a chatterbox at home and would always enetertain everyone or generally get in their way.
when i was about 10-11 i rememebr my mum sittin in an armchair trying to ahve a bit of quiet time reading something. i was sitting (or fidgeting rather) on another armchair and was talking to her and giggling at my own jokes although i was aware she was not listening to me at the time. and she just looked up to me and told me to stop it as i look like a little mopuse giggling away at my own silly remarks. now i understand i must have been annoying at the time but the way she said it and the words really upset me that i felt like crying and i went all quiet and left the room. to this day she doesn't know how hurt i felt.
that's why i alway, always listen and join in with dd's chatter. and i really hope i can amnage to do it forever. children are such fragile beings.

joash Thu 03-Mar-05 23:15:52

Then there's the time my mother said that I was never wanted and should have been aborted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now