Talk

Advanced search

Upset about FIL's reaction to my being pregnant again

(8 Posts)
PiccadillyCircus Thu 03-Mar-05 10:42:26

I am 11 weeks pregnant and we also have DS who is 15 months. This wasn't a planned pregnancy, but we have come to terms with it and are looking forward to DS2/DD coming in September.

We told my parents last weekend and they were lovely about it, despite my worries that they wouldn't be. We were meant to be visiting DH's family this weekend and telling them then but as we are either moving on 11th or 18th March we have postponed (did invite them here but they were too busy). As it looks like we won't see them until Easter, I told DH he could tell them when he was on the phone.

His mum was fine about it, as was his sister, but his dad kept asking him about how we were going to cope and what job he was going to have and how we were going to manage. DH and I don't know exactly how we're going to manage but it really upset DH when his dad was going on about it. After he'd been on the phone he got really unhappy about it, which is not like DH at all.

Don't know why his dad is being like this about it - he loves seeing DS.I was thinking that it was a shock to us and we've known for 7 weeks; it was probably a shock for him as well. Just a pity he couldn't have been enthusiastic and kept all his other remarks to himself .

jampots Thu 03-Mar-05 10:46:12

at FIL. Agree should keep his unkindly remarks to himself

biglips Thu 03-Mar-05 10:49:48

hmmm ! CONGRATULATIONS anyway and you will work your way around it as he probably didnt meant to brag on about it

keep your chin up, hun

Fastasleep Thu 03-Mar-05 10:50:33

PC I got quite a few unwelcome reactions! My mum for instance said 'Oh *sigh* I thought you might be... *sigh* when's it due?' and my doctor kept asking me if I was sure I wasn't there to ask for a termination!.... I'm sure your FIL will get over it...it's upsetting when people aren't thoughtful though isn't it! Especially when you're all hormonal and pukey and feeling crap!

PiccadillyCircus Thu 03-Mar-05 10:52:35

I think I'm more upset for DH - he was really upset after he'd spoken to his dad and DH really doesn't get upset about things.

DH wants some combination of him, me and DS to go over there on Sunday. At least by then I have had my scan (tomorrow ). That will make everything seem more real.

vict17 Thu 03-Mar-05 10:53:02

Don't worry about what other people think PC (although I know how hard it is to do). My sister is having her 2nd baby in August and her first isn't one yet. My family have had mixed reactions. Most wonder how they will cope, my brother evn said to me on the phone 'why didn't they use the morning after pill'!! But I just can't see the point as once you've told them the news there is no point in wondering how you will manage. Hopefully they will come round and be supportive

bonym Thu 03-Mar-05 10:53:29

Oh just try to ignore him - I remember when xh rang his parents to tell them that I was pg with dd, x-mil's comment was "oh". Nothing else. I'm sure your FIL will come around - he is maybe just concerned for you and when he realises that you are happy about coping etc. he will probably change his tune.
Congratulations btw!

Fastasleep Thu 03-Mar-05 10:54:05

Good luck for your scan! I bet you have a beautiful mr/miss blobby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now