Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can it damage your car engine if there's too much oil in it?

(3 Posts)
tiredandgrumpy Tue 07-Oct-08 21:32:45

Took my car in for a service about a month ago. Ever since, when I've been driving for a while, the warning light comes on telling me the oil level is high. Then it goes. Suspect they've put too much oil in, but that my car is a bit sensitive. It's a hassle to go back to the garage to get something done about it, so please put my mind at rest that I'm not doing lasting damage to my car.

Hope there's somebody out there who's not quite so pathetic & girly as me & actually knows about these things.

Mij Wed 08-Oct-08 12:08:52

forgive me if it's a stupid question, but have you tried checking the dipstick to see if there really is too much oil in it?

If you don't know where it is/what it looks like, I'll give instructions! Plus how to drain some out - you don't need to go to the garage to do that, it's easy. BTw, what car have you got and how old is it?

But the answer is yes, sometimes, it could do damage. It can put too much pressure on certain parts of the engine.

chubbasmum Thu 09-Oct-08 22:40:00

Im afraid it does do some damage it happened to not so clever ME i had to go to the garage because i had thick smoke coming from the exhaust pipe and i damaged something else all for the love of being liked to be called Miss Independent. hope yours is not as bad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now