Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ummmm 1 year old..........what9;s the deal with getting a Christmas tree this year?!

(23 Posts)
bluejellybean Tue 30-Sep-08 21:58:44

ummmm 1 year old..........what's the deal with getting a Christmas tree this year?!

Flamesparrow Tue 30-Sep-08 21:59:21

ummm... the same as every year?

CherryChapstick Tue 30-Sep-08 22:00:15

A small one, on a table.

FanjolinaJolly Tue 30-Sep-08 22:00:17

They'll love the lights!

If child mobile keep it out of reach so they can't pull it over on themselves

SilkCutMama Tue 30-Sep-08 22:02:07

pink and sparkly with lots of lights

Little and out of reach!!

EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Sep-08 22:09:45

Depends on the child- DD was 11 mo and 1.11 last 2 years- she never once touched the tree (prob too prickly looking grin)
The only person who pulled it over was me blush walking past too closely!

Flamesparrow Tue 30-Sep-08 22:16:32

Never had a problem with DD

DS has been hell both years. This year will be his best I think - not our home and finely honed climbing skills

RustyBear Tue 30-Sep-08 22:19:40

I used to put my tree inside the playpen.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Sep-08 22:21:10

but flame- if you didn't have a tree- he'd probably scale up one in the garden anyway, wouldn't he? wink

ButtonMeUp Tue 30-Sep-08 22:21:53

thanks for starting this thread. Have same dilemma. My ds2 is 1 on the 27th and is already very mobile, crawling, standing and climbing.

Thing is ds1 is 8 and loves the xmas tree and especially the presents underneath grin.. No idea how to manage this as no playpen (good idea though).

Flamesparrow Tue 30-Sep-08 22:22:15

<sighs> Yup

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 30-Sep-08 22:26:40

You tell him its HOT. VERY HOT.
Same as the fire and cooker.
Worked a treat for my two.

But I've just realised this year they will be (just)4 and 2.7 and they will work out that if it was actually HOT the chocolate decorations would melt grin so I'll have to think of something else!!

(The presents we have other issues with as DS1's birthday is so close to xmas and the inlaws wrap his birthday stuff in xmas paper so he thinks everything is for him and has meltdown on xmas morning.....)

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 30-Sep-08 22:27:20

Message withdrawn

MatBackFeck Tue 30-Sep-08 22:27:38

we had a short one and put it on a sideboard.

Nemoandthefishes Tue 30-Sep-08 22:29:58

I have had a 1yr old at christmas the last 2yrs and never had a problem with trees. They love the lights and looking at ornaments but otherwise no issue.

bluejellybean Tue 30-Sep-08 22:30:08

RustyBear your not being serious!!!! grin grin grin

Nemoandthefishes Tue 30-Sep-08 22:32:30

ohh forgot my big tip..put something very child friendly under the tree we have a little people nativity and xmas scene that they tend to play with more

BibiThree Tue 30-Sep-08 22:33:53

I am seriously considering buying a play pen for this exact reason. DD ever touched our tree, we told her it was dangerous if it fell on her she would get hurt, and she was a child who responded to "no".

The dts on the other hand ... different kettle of fish. They are the kind of children who hear you saying "no", turn around, grin at you, then do it anyway, but faster before you get there to stop them grin

RustyBear Tue 30-Sep-08 22:34:22

No, I really did! I put it on a small table so the kids could see it & filled the space between the table & the bars with balloons.

I mostly used the playpen when DD was crawling/cruising - DS used to go in there with his jigsaws/Duplo/sticklebricks or anything else he didn't want DD to mess up, while she had the freedom of the sitting room.

BibiThree Tue 30-Sep-08 22:35:15

Are my beautiful glass baubles staying in their boxes this year? DTs will be 17m btw.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Sep-08 22:46:47

Bibi- I have forsaken my glass baubles for the next 15 years! I just think it's safer!

sunnydelight Wed 01-Oct-08 06:22:51

We put it in a playpen too when we had littlies as I refused to compromise on my big, real, Christmas tree grin They can enjoy the twinkly lights etc. but can't touch (or pull it down on themselves).

lizziemun Wed 01-Oct-08 06:54:29

bibi, My glass baubles will not be out this year sad.

I never had a probelm with dd1 but dd2 will probaly destroy the tree in 5 mins grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now