Talk

Advanced search

Bloody yu gi oh cards, would you intervene or consider it a lesson learned?

(20 Posts)
WideWebWitch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:10:35

Ds gave a friend of his a special yu gi oh card the other day while the friend was here. Friend's dad was here to collect him and said 'are you sure you want to do that?' at which my ds looked unsure. Friend's dad said 'look, www's ds, you can give the card to xxx but if you want it back you can have it'. It is a special card, dp got it for ds on ebay. Fair enough. Ds has been to this friend's house today and it turns out the friend's traded it so ds can't have it back. <sigh> What should I do? Dp thinks ring friend's dad (since he was the one who said ds could have it back) and ask for it and it's their problem to get it back (we know who has it). Do you agree. Bloody cards, I'm glad they're not allowed to take them to school. They're all 7 yos btw. <sigh again, hate bloody yu gi oh>

jampots Mon 28-Feb-05 20:12:12

dd did this with pokemon cards years ago - lesson learned im afraid

Caligula Mon 28-Feb-05 20:12:20

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds like the kind of dilemma I'm not looking forward to when mine is older!

WideWebWitch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:14:04

lol Caligula! Oh bloody hell jampots, you think? Go on, can't I fight this one? Pleeeease? I don't like ds's friend in this instance so I am aware it's clouding my judgment. His dad DID say ds could have it back. <whine, winge>

RTKangaMummy Mon 28-Feb-05 20:15:32

Do you think the friend persuaded DS to give it to him?

Or do you think DS would have given it to him happily?

Are you friends with the boy who has the card now?

WideWebWitch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:17:06

Yes I am friends with the boy who has the card now. And his mum, he's a poppet. But dp says it's not his fault or problem and since other boy's dad said ds could have it back it's up to him to sort it out. I think maybe friend did pressure him BUT I don't like friend so could just be imagining evil intent where none exists!

happymerryberries Mon 28-Feb-05 20:18:19

Lesson learned, I'm afraid

RTKangaMummy Mon 28-Feb-05 20:21:42

Does your DS have another card that he could swap with card?

Agree that it is 1st boy that should reverse everything

But I know what you mean about your feelings about 1st boy.

jampots Mon 28-Feb-05 20:21:46

ok WWW - you can try just once to get it back. You may speak to the father about his horrible son's attitude to taking cards and if it fails then give up

WideWebWitch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:26:25

I think I'm going to find a middle way. I will tell ds that I shouldn't have to sort it out for him and that if he doesn't want to lose special cards in future he shouldn't give them away, only trade them. I will tell him that he ought to speak to his little friend tomorrow and ask for it back, nicely. It's then up to friend to get it back from poppet that has it. If that doesn't work THEN I'll ring his dad and remind him that he said ds could have the card back. Thanks all and Jampots

Cod Mon 28-Feb-05 20:30:25

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Mon 28-Feb-05 20:31:06

oke doke

good luck

tigermoth Tue 01-Mar-05 06:46:56

this all sounds terribly familiar. Card swapping, suspected pressure put on swapper, lost cards...At least you have an advantage, www, you are friends with the parents of both boys.

As this is the case, I think you could have a word with the dad. As you say, he did tell your son he could have the card back,and his own son heard him say it, so no excuses.

It's very possible his own son actually has the card still, but just doesn't want to part with it - the Yu gi ho obsession does strange things to boys IME. That's especially why I think it's worth asking the dad, if you son can't sort this out with the boy.

IME sometimes boys really want to hold on to certain cards, can't imagine life without them. It's amazing how many cards are 'lost' when the original owner wants them back.

My oldest son lost lots of pokemon cards that way - he'd show them to boys he didn't know well, (at playclubs or when he played out) someone would take his pack, show lots of interest, look through them, and lo and behold, his best cards were gone when he checked the pack later. I remember once going up to a group of older boys I didn't know, asking them if they had seen my son's missing pokemon cards as they were the last people to play with them, and being met with blank stares and head shaking

yes, it's a lesson leaned, and I had to do the same as you - tell my son he must not trade his good cards and keep a close check on who he plays with. He was far too trusting to begin with.

BTW - have you seen those amazingly cheap starter packs of Yu gi ho cards at boot sales and markets? Obviously copies, but very good ones - my sons are both very happy to get them. A starter pack (so 30 or 40 cards) costs £1.00. If you like, I can send you some.

chipmonkey Tue 01-Mar-05 15:52:02

My dh "made" a fake rare yu-gi-oh card from a website, laminated it himself. To our horror ds swapped it for an entire deck of real cards!!!
However, cards were always getting stolrn from him, sometimes the best cards taken and the duds left. I would have a word with the dad. Good thing is, its now out of fashion in his class, don't worry www it doesn't last long, they move on to other things!

lucybelle Tue 01-Mar-05 20:38:08

We had this with my ds last year and I agree that the whole phase does not last that long before they get bored and move on to the next big craze. With this in mind, it's not worth developing bad feeling with other parents. Friends dad might see the whole thing as being a bit petty. Best just to learn lesson I'm afraid.

Jimjams Tue 01-Mar-05 20:41:52

I like the sound of your son chipmonkey- very creative.

Lesson learned I think www.

Marshmallow Tue 01-Mar-05 20:45:23

Been there, done it, bought the t-shirt! Lesson Learned I'm afraid.

albosmum Tue 01-Mar-05 20:46:33

have this all time with ds1 pokemon, yu gugio! - have to say lesson learned but my DS nver learns it

marthamoo Tue 01-Mar-05 21:12:01

www, I haven't had this one yet but you were so lovely to me on my "grrrr @ ds1" thread yesterday I just wanted to say "grrrrr @ sons in general" and hope you can sort this one out!

WideWebWitch Wed 02-Mar-05 19:04:30

Ooh, only just realised other people have replied! Thanks tigermoth, I wonder if the boy does still have it, it hadn't occurred to me before reading your post. Chipmonkey, good on your ds, wow! I think it is a lesson learned for my boy actually. I've told him I won't intervene and he needs to think about it carefully before giving anyone card in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now