Talk

Advanced search

anyone had microdermabrasion?

(15 Posts)
skerriesmum Mon 28-Feb-05 16:32:58

Just curious. It's supposed to be great for minor skin imperfections like wrinkles, blackheads, scars etc. What's it like?

expatinscotland Mon 28-Feb-05 16:37:19

I have. I had it for acne scars. Didn't have it in the UK, however, so can't compare experiences. It's like getting a bad sunburn. Best done in winter where you're not in danger of being exposed to too much sunlight. LOVED the results!

skerriesmum Mon 28-Feb-05 16:48:15

Really! Tell me more. Did you have several treatments over a course of a few months? Is it something you need to keep doing? You have to be very careful in the sun now, right? I'm tempted, my whole face is just so... tired looking or something.

expatinscotland Mon 28-Feb-05 16:51:46

I had three treatments over the course of 9 months. It just felt like exfoliation when it was going on, but afterwards like a sunburn. You can put makeup on, though. The redness goes away after a day or two, but you still need to be VERY careful in the sun. Mine was for acne scars so not around my eyes, but it did wonders for my mouth lines (I used to smoke). And for the scars, well, they're no longer visible to the naked eye so for me it was well worth it.

Oh, it evens out your skin tone as well.

Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock.

skerriesmum Mon 28-Feb-05 16:54:05

Thanks. So no unpleasant effects, you would recommend it?

skerriesmum Mon 28-Feb-05 17:22:17

bump

expatinscotland Mon 28-Feb-05 20:31:39

As long as you're very comfortable w/the clinic/surgeon. I had mine done at a clinic where lots of my friends had gone for 'work' and they were all very pleased. So I felt pretty comfortable when I went in for my consult. In fact, I'd love to have some of these creases on my neck lessened s/how . . . to prevent 'turkey neck' before it appears.

The skin is quite raw afterwards. For me, it felt like a combo of sunburn and using soap - there was that tightening.

But as it bascially removed the scars I had (it was fairly light scarring), yeah, I'd do it again.

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:49:52

I had a course of Crystal Clear microdermabrasion at a beauty salon. Can't say it made much difference. Those of you who had good results, did you go to a more medical type place?

expatinscotland Mon 28-Feb-05 20:51:03

Franch,
I had mine in a cosmetic surgery clinic done by a doctor.

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:53:03

Sounds like a better option than what I did - although more expensive I expect

expatinscotland Mon 28-Feb-05 20:53:28

$250USD per treatment. And this was in 2001.

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:57:55

Wow, yes, a lot more. But mine was a false economy. How many sessions?

expatinscotland Mon 28-Feb-05 21:02:12

3 of 'em. I was pleased w/final result and would definitely consider more procedures if I could afford them.

skerriesmum Tue 01-Mar-05 08:20:59

Thanks for all the advice. I'm in Dublin and don't know which place to go to but I'll avoid the Crystal Clear type I guess.

skerriesmum Wed 02-Mar-05 08:29:49

bump

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: